Looking for a colorful small schooling fish for 90gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philly33

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm currently debating between galaxy rasboras and chili rasboras.

I want a tight, colorful, small schooling fish. Thinking of 40-50

Suggestions please?

Attachments

• image-1099817596.jpg
    image-1099817596.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 181
galaxies are a little spendy and hard to come by IMO, i do really like them though

my personal favorite schoolers right now are rummynoses they school really tight

I know your looking for something schooling so I thought I'd throw in a new fish to consider. I recently got some green tiger barbs and they are awesome. Very nice metallic green coloration and they school pretty tightly. Do a google search and check me out if ya want.

I know your looking for something schooling so I thought I'd throw in a new fish to consider. I recently got some green tiger barbs and they are awesome. Very nice metallic green coloration and they school pretty tightly. Do a google search and check me out if ya want.

we just got some of these in our 75 gallon they are awesome little guys, ours done school very tight at all times but are usually in a nice little group

Philly33 said:
I'm currently debating between galaxy rasboras and chili rasboras.

I want a tight, colorful, small schooling fish. Thinking of 40-50

Suggestions please?

Nice tank!

Both are pretty small fish, is that all your stocking or are you planning on adding more fish besides one of the schoolers?

Thank you. Just looking for schoolers. I already have a clean up crew (6 otos, 3 panda garra loaches, flying fox, siamensis, pitbull pleco and a few shrimp) also 2 harra harra cats.

I would not go with galaxy rasbora (aka CPD) for that purpose. They tend to be rather timid depending on their setup, and are not tight schoolers by any means.

One of my favorites is d.choprai, they are a little bit bigger maxing out around 1 1/2 -2" but they school tightly all the time and are a nice contrast to the commonly seen tetras/cardinals etc.

Jeta- your suggestion has definitely peaked my interest. I'm finding/reading that these fish are shoaling and not schooling. I'd really like a true schooling fish but not neons. I'm a bit confused now.

Philly33 said:
Jeta- your suggestion has definitely peaked my interest. I'm finding/reading that these fish are shoaling and not schooling. I'd really like a true schooling fish but not neons. I'm a bit confused now.

Lol. Personally I love my school of 30 neons! They are so bright n add a lot of color to your tank.

Lol. I may go that route. I'm reading that lifespan is 1-3 maybe. Lots of $$ for CPD. May go with 40 neons $1 per. Lol

Philly33 said:
Lol. I may go that route. I'm reading that lifespan is 1-3 maybe. Lots of $$ for CPD. May go with 40 neons $1 per. Lol

Mine are 3 years old n I paid 1 pound each! They r Awesome

My local pet store sells them for like $7-8 each!! These guys don't go cheap.
To me they look like mini colorful trout. :D

Take a look at Emperor Tetras, Or Columbian(Blue& red)Tetras, they get a little bigger but nice fish and very colorful.

Still leaning toward the CPD, love that they look trout like although they are shoaling not schooling. I've looked at the glowlight danio too. Anyone with luck with the glowlight tetra? I can get them $1 per opposed $6+ for CPD.

Fish school when there is a predator nearby and they feel threatened. They don't do it otherwise. You might want to go with shoaling.

I still wouldn't recommend CPDs, they are really timid and get frightened easily by bigger fish.

Glowlight tetras IME only school if you have something to make them school. All schooling fish will technically swim in a shoal unless there is a bigger fish that will turn on the defensive meausre to school.

edit: ninja'd by Lynda

I've decided on the glowlight tetra. Can't go wrong with $1 ea. Going to try 50-75. It should look cool.

Beckfords pencil fish. They look AWESOME in large numbers. Very slender body, makes a wave illusion when the school turns or zigzags. You can often find them on sale for 3 for either .99 or 1.49. Atleast here in Southern Ontario

images

BTw, Neon tetras aren't worth $1 each (In my mind). I'd wait till they are on sale or something, or ask about a bulk deal.

Back
Top Bottom