Looking for aquarium "grass"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
alright, so dwarf sagg it is, even if it wont grow into an actual carpet....think THAT would work?

So I already dose flourish excel once a week for my java fern, other than that, I have 3 moneyworts, and am about to get a dwarf sagg or 2....is the flourish excel good for that, or do I need something else?

Also, when I set the tank up, I never dreamed Id be planting it, so I left the gravel shallow, maybe 4 inches deep, probably 3-4 realistically. I didnt have trouble planting my moneyworts. This wouldnt hinder dwarf sagg would it?

It's so often recommended, but does anyone actually have a good example of a dwarf sag carpet? I've played with it some, but it tends to go bananas if you get it happy enough to grow that much.

Exhibit A:

fXoAwXX.png

You can see in the front what it looks like when it's growing sparsely, but in the back it's growing thick enough to be a 'carpet', but it starts growing up instead.

When I decided to rip it out finally after it invaded everywhere and wouldn't stop growing up:

WWBV9Vx.jpg

Dwarf sag is probably the only 'foreground' that I know that will grow 3'+ if left to its own devices in a high tech, high light tank.

dwarf sag is just a low growing variant of regular subulata. So often times people sell young subulata as dwarf sag since there's no way to tell the difference. Real dwarf sag, though, only gets 2-3". And even then it can sometimes send off tall runners here and there that have to be clipped.
Here's one that comes to mind, a guy I know.

Attachments

• IMG2012073000006.jpg
    IMG2012073000006.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
dwarf sag is just a low growing variant of regular subulata. So often times people sell young subulata as dwarf sag since there's no way to tell the difference. Real dwarf sag, though, only gets 2-3". And even then it can sometimes send off tall runners here and there that have to be clipped.

I've not heard that before. As far as I know, it's all one species with the not uncommon ability to grow differently based on it's environments and demands. I've taken dwarf sag growing short from one tank and it put it into another and it grew tall after it adjusted.

But, this is the stuff you sold me, so you tell me what it is :p

You could probably keep it low, but it would be a lot of scissor work. I'm not sure how well it would work in a low light tank, as it would send out a lot less runners.

Well, Ill see what I get, and ll one day post a pic of it, thanks for the help

You try the relatively new Eleocharis sp. 'mini'. But it needs a fair amount of light. The upside to it is, it hardly ever needs pruning, stays low and small

Back
Top Bottom