Looking for aquarium "grass"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PatrickL

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am looking for a carpet plant, that will grow fairly well, without taking over. (Is that a contradiction?) I like the look of hair grass, but I dont want to have to mow it....anyone know of a carpet plant thats low tech and maintenance?

If fish should matter, I have tiger barbs cory cats, a couple balloon mollies, a few serpae tetras, a redfin shark and a rubbernose pleco.

Also, this is a 45 gallon tank, that's long, narrow, and deep.

I don't have an answer for you. Hairgrass isn't low tech, I had a terrible time trying to grow it until I got Co2. But.... It's also grows slow enough that I don't have to trim it that often.

oh....well that's good to know at least. I had just typed it in google images and saw a tank that looked like a solid block of hair grass.

Marsilea crenata is supposedly low maintenance. I'm going to be trying it for the first time soon.

Dwarf sagittaria. Its more of thick blade grass type. Will do well in low tech.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Micro chain sword or narrow leaf chain sword..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What's your lighting like? Substrate? Ferts?

as far as lighting, I have a flourescent, but it has an aqueon something or other that I found isnt good for plants, so I ordered a new bulb that is good for plants....I have fine gravel thats rounded for substrate, and Im willing to do minimal ferts....weekly I guess?

If you're interested in dwarf sagg, I have some for sale. PM me for details.

as far as lighting, I have a flourescent, but it has an aqueon something or other that I found isnt good for plants, so I ordered a new bulb that is good for plants....I have fine gravel thats rounded for substrate, and Im willing to do minimal ferts....weekly I guess?

You will still have low light as that's all you can get without upgrading your light fixture.

Yeah with this you'll definitely be limited to keeping low light tolerant plants. Until you decide to upgrade the lighting, keeping any carpeting plants that are low to the substrate might be difficult. You can try dwarf sag as others have suggested. But if you don't get the growth you desire, might want to consider an upgrade (or stick to moss).

Last edited:
so java moss and dwarf sag only then?

Last edited:
For what its worth, my LFSs are petland and petsmart which are 30 miles in 2 different directions, petsmart is a lot better for plants and decos, and petland is much better for fish. Is there anything at Petland that would grow well carpet wise?

Theres a whole world of plants out there to order online. Shipping costs really are not that expensive these days. May even be easier than driving to one of the before mentioned big box stores

So dwarf sagg grows good low tech in low light with, say, weekly ferts?

Also, as far as ferts go, awhile back, I was told that flourish excel was good for plants in aquariums, so I got some 2 months ago when I got my java fern, does that count as ferts?

Back
Top Bottom