Looking for Low-Light plants that match these requirements?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TBH, I do not know why the plant/aquarium bulbs are not correct... they may be for potted plants? I don't see them on their website, but they don't put a lot of their items on there that are small like that. What you linked is an actual fixture, something like you'd hang under a cabinet or in a closet or something.

Oh, haha.
Okay so just to be clear, to sum it up I need to purchase...
a 6500K Fluorescent Light Strip in Cool Daylight (Not Aquarium/Plant) in order to have Crypts or other low-light plants in my tank.

Also, I was wondering... is the higher the lighting (6500k+) the higher the price? In other words would lighting for medium-light or high-light plants be more expensive than the low-lights?

No, the k rating has nothing to do with intensity or anything. It's the color of the light. Plants in an aquarium can only use light in the 6500k-10,000k spectrum. You shouldn't see a price difference in any bulbs of the same length and wattage in that spectrum. Bulbs come in all color temperatures, some reef tanks use bulbs in the 20,000k range. It's kind of complicated, but the easiest way to think of it is like a prism. You get several different colors when you shine light through one. Plants can only use one of those colors, and the kelvin rating says that color is in the 6500k-10,000k range. If you take the next color, it may be in the 12000k-18,000k range, etc. make more sense now?

As far as getting plants that require more than 'low light', you'll have to increase the wattage of the bulbs. That will require a new fixture. Aquarium fixtures have several different kinds of bulbs. In a typical fluorescent setup, you have T-8 (which is what you have), T-12, VHO (T-12 on steroids), T-5, and T5HO (T-5 on steroids). The 'T' is the diameter of the bulb in 1/8", so a T-8 is 1" in diameter. You also have compact fluorescent which is typically a bulb bent to a 'u' shape, and Metal halide, which is what a lot of high end reef tanks require.

Did that help, or confuse you more?

As you can see I've got lots of fake plants, then some live ones. However, the live ones are a lucky bamboo and white ribbon, plants I'm anxious to rid of now that I know they are not truly aquatic. So Crypts would be okay? I'll look into Aponogeton Bulbs, but I'm not sure that I'll find them around here. Thanks for the help!!

Aponogeton bulbs aren't too hard to find. Many LFSs have them- as does Walmart.

My comments below in blue.
No, the k rating has nothing to do with intensity or anything. It's the color of the light. Plants in an aquarium can only use light in the 6500k-10,000k spectrum. You shouldn't see a price difference in any bulbs of the same length and wattage in that spectrum. Bulbs come in all color temperatures, some reef tanks use bulbs in the 20,000k range. It's kind of complicated, but the easiest way to think of it is like a prism. You get several different colors when you shine light through one. Plants can only use one of those colors, and the kelvin rating says that color is in the 6500k-10,000k range. If you take the next color, it may be in the 12000k-18,000k range, etc. make more sense now?
So... the K rating does not measure how strong the lighting is? In other words, 6500K is not lower lighting than 8500k? :confused:

As far as getting plants that require more than 'low light', you'll have to increase the wattage of the bulbs. That will require a new fixture. Aquarium fixtures have several different kinds of bulbs. In a typical fluorescent setup, you have T-8 (which is what you have), T-12, VHO (T-12 on steroids), T-5, and T5HO (T-5 on steroids). The 'T' is the diameter of the bulb in 1/8", so a T-8 is 1" in diameter. You also have compact fluorescent which is typically a bulb bent to a 'u' shape, and Metal halide, which is what a lot of high end reef tanks require.

Did that help, or confuse you more?
Haha, uhhh I am sort of confused right now... so if the wattage determines whether the lighting is low-light or medium-light, than I don't understand the point of a K rating. Are you saying that some low-light plants require different K rating than others??? I thought a plant was either low-light, medium-light, or high-light. So say plant A needs low-light, with a certain wattage, and plant B needs medium-light, with a certain wattage. Where does the K rating come into play? Can plant C, which like plant A requires low-light, have a different K requirement?

Ok... so to your first comment, you are correct... there is no different in light intensity between a bulb that's 6500k and one that's 8500k.

second comment... you are pretty much correct in terms of wattage... different plants do not have different color temperature requirements. At least not aquarium plants. If you have a bulb that's anywhere between 6500k and 10,000k, plants will grow if you have enough wattage. Your fixture is good enough for the plants that have been suggested, you just need to make sure that the bulb emits usable light for them to use (the k rating).

Plants do better in certain K ranges. If you get the 6500k daylight which are cheap and easily available at Walmart, you'll have no trouble keeping a variety of low tech plants. Wattage is something completely different. Daylight is what plants naturally grow in right? See what we're getting at? It has certain colors that plants need to be healthy. I suggest the ones I use because I have very good luck growing all but the high light plants. I'm not a high tech person, the watt per gallon means nothing to me. But from my experience, the 6500k daylights work perfectly for my low-tech needs. I have various crypts, various swords, various vals, various anubias, various javas, various stem plants all growing in tanks with Walmart bulbs except for two tanks which have 4 pin CFLs and higher wattage. Event hose bulbs are 6500k though.

Okay thank you so much everyone. I think understand more clearly.

Back
Top Bottom