Looking for plants for 1 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NyReefer

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a little 1 gallon for a betta and was wondering if I could toss some plants in there. I have a solar flare 3w led on the top. Could I put plants in there? Never really had any real plants in a fw tank. So I don't really know what I'm doing. Just want to make a neat little planted tank

Micro sword. Anubias. A little banana plant. Just some suggestions

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Never mind the micro sword. Nut what substrate

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Pls don't cage your betta in a 1g.. Have a soul and opt for a 5g+ . Maybe get some inverts ;)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

I do have to agree that bettas generally are better off with a bit more space than a 1g. Even a 2.5g can make a difference, and requires less water changes for optimal health. That is it's own topic though. :)
For planting a 1g, my first question is what kind of light do you have? Is it one of those little hoods that comes with an incandescent light? If so, you will need to change out that bulb for one that can grow plants. I have purchased them (for 1g tanks) at Wal Mart and at PetCo. That was a few years ago though, so I am not sure what places still carry what products. I grew hornwort in mine. Also, Java moss and Java fern.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424022812.944430.jpg
This is my setup. I most likely will get a 5 or something bigger. But the light is a 3w solar flare. And the substrate is just black sand

Awesome. I am glad you have a more high techy tank than the normal plastic 1g from chain stores.
With a decent light, you could try something like Anubias nana in addition to my other suggestions. Anacharis is another decent one that I have had good luck with in small tanks.

Looks to dark to grow much in there other than java fern.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Will the black sand be okay or should I get different substrate?
Up to you. Nicer substrate for that small of a tank wouldn't be crazy high. Though, if it was me I would just leave it. Sand holds the plants down just fine. If you get Java fern, they should be anchored to something above the substrate anyways.

Looks to dark to grow much in there other than java fern.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Overall I would agree, but I have had pretty good luck with the easy plants I mentioned with practically non-existent lighting. But hey, even Java ferns are still pretty. Java moss also grows pretty much anywhere.

Marimo Moss ball. Tie aquatic moss to your stick with black, brown or moss green 100% cotton thread. Bettas LOVE resting in the plants.

Black sand is just fine, though you could add some planted tank substrate like Eco Complete.

A thought would be to upgrade the Betta to 2.5G to 5G, some Bettas really love swimming. All my Crowntails have been energetic swimmers and a 10 to 15G tank wouldn't be too much for him. You could use the 1G for Cherry shrimp. Cherry shrimp are awesome! Just feed very sparingly.

Ditto on moving up to about 3 gallons.

I had my betta in a 3 with a whisper filter and a so so light, in a bright room. With an ozelot sword and floating brazilian pennywort. It was ok but even with weekly 50% water changes I fought nitrates.

Then the filter broke and I followed some advice that it might be OK without a filter. Sure enough, the plants started growing like crazy and now I have zero ammonia, zero nitrates. I think the plants suck up ammonia before it converts to nitrite or nitrate? The ozelot sword looks fun and funky since it's big, it's like the fishy equivalent of a person beside a giant oak tree. The floor is clean and bare and the pennywort goes mad and looks pretty on top.

Pennywort looks stringy and weedy from the store ... I cut it in small pieces below each branch so it's a bunch of v shapes ... I hook some around the heater cord then hook it around itself, searching them together. Then they get pretty.

Yes maybe this week I'll deal with my inability to upload photos so I can share better ...

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom