Looking for suggestions on a top dwelling fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amesdrew

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, just looking for a good top level fish that would fit into my 29 gallon planted tank. I just got new lights so I am letting everything grow in, but I am itching to get possibly another school in the tank.

So far I have,

1 male blue ram, soon to have a female.
6 serpai tetra/ nippy bunch, guessing it might eliminate some options.:banghead:
3 awesome red finned zipper loaches
1 Clown pleco.

As you may see the middle and bottom is taken care of but I still have the top half of the tank. One more request is stay away from red, I have a lot of red in the tank already. lol

I have the bottom of the tank pretty well filled, but would any shrimp be possible?

thanks Drew.

If you floated a few plants you might be able to get away with some Hatchets.

It would be good for the Serpais too, as they are not crazy about light.

I'd definately recommend making sure you spread food away from the floating plants to distract the Serpai tetras, so they can squabble over dinner and as soon as they are distracted, spread food among floating plants for Hatchets.

Also, make sure you have a tight lid if you go for Hatchets (no red ones in the pet trade I know of!) as I can tell you from sad experience, they are jumpers.

A real neat addition to a community tank.

Danio's huh? I used to have zebra danios and didn't really like them, but these orange ones sound interesting.

I have also thought about the hatchet fish. I don't have a lid on the tank, because my new lights came with the footings on them. I really like marbled hatchets.

One more question, I used to want to get blue eyed rainbowfish, would it work with the serpai? or what about killifish, I hear they like the top of the tank too? Just wondering because those serpai love nipping longfins.

Back
Top Bottom