Looking for the perfect breeder plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is a quest for an aquatic plant that will make the perfect breeder corner in any live bearers tank. Keep in mind, this is not just any plant. To get to the point, here is what I want:
The plant needs to be a fairly fast grower
Needs to be able to be trimmed and almost never replanted
Must be at least anchorable if not rooted
The underside would be like a hollow hedge with just stems
No mosses as it has to be thick enough to hide fry but not rot underneath
The fry need to be able to swim through it easily while adults really have to fight to get through it.

The goal: let the plant grow in one end from front to back and trim it back so that it has the landscaping look of a wedge against the side of the tank.

I know it is a really weird request but I think it would be really cool to be able to let a plant grow and trim it back as a kind of cottage for any fish fry or small fish for a breeding cove.

The only one I have found would be guppy grass but it sounds a little fragile and is supposed to be hard to plant because it is fragile.

Any suggestion on a plant to try that might have the abilities listed? List your ideas even if you haven't seen the plant used this way.

Sorry, forgot key point, 10 gallon tanks although once found it should work for any tank.

It may not meet all of your criteria, but I keep African cichlids in a planted community tank and I've had the best luck with narrow-leaf Java ferns as far as fry havens go. They get fairly long leaves that are hard and thick but have decent sized petioles (stems) so that there is an open space inside that big bunch of leaves for the fry to hide. They don't require frequent maintenance, will grow in just about any tank, and are not eaten by anything that I know of. Just my .02 worth :)

why not moss? i have a peice of driftwood that is all hollow underneath and it is compltly covered in moss. there is no rot once so ever in it. it grows extrealy fast and can be shaped and pruned very easy without worrying about replanting. and u can creat any effects u want based on a simple wooden(or rock or anything) structure. i think christmas moss would be the best choice since it is really thick but fry could very easily get through it. if u really dont want to go with moss though i would also reccomend the hygro difformis. it is what i have in my fry tank and if trimmed and replanted it stunts the upward growth and casues it to grow outward. it is speced enough for my fry but the adults cant get in.

I have the wisteria and it just seems like it is too large leafed for a good cover for the fry. I am going to start trimming the daylights out of it in one tank and see if it fills in at all. If it does it would work really well.

Well I though about moss and especially christmas moss but two problems. BN and cory. My BN seem to be able to move a small mountain and my cories don't seem to like to leave anything alone that they can move. And yes, mine have shown that they will eat any fish small enough for them to catch. It could work, I haven't seen christmas moss, should have said no java moss but has been a bad day. And the other fact that I have not had much luck with java moss but christmas moss could be an easier to grow. I did not think about the hollow log but is an option. I thought about using plastic canvas but again, the lack of a root system would allow a big fish to get behind it and possible pick the babies off. A log that goes from front to back with small access points might. Will have to see a picture to know if it will or not.

What would all of you think about Limnophila sessiliflora (dwarf ambulia) and limnophila aquatica? Very thick leaves and could be trimmed to form a wall and top type structure.

Any pictures of the moss Mr. Funk?

lots of pictures and i love posting them :) here some are
img_692094_0_0165dc41d43a73bb1e4cd84db71e1051.jpg

img_692094_1_0c29c52d37cf38f4e51b9394fb65b4b5.jpg

if the fry cant hide in the corner of this tank they cant hide anywhere.
img_692094_2_b69a2d54658c5f131351740cdd949b27.jpg

That is by far the best picture of christmas moss I have ever seen. I finally understand why they call it that.

If I can find a wood cave, I could set it near the end of the tank and then let it grow to cover the log and fill in the side of the of the tank. The BN would have a new cave and I would have a nice fry bed. Good idea, now I would just have to get it to grow. lol
How much different is it to grow than java moss? Anything special before I go looking for it?

No comments on the ambulia? Must not be a popular plant. It looks a lot like hornwort and if it acts like it then I can understand why it isn't popular.

it grows similiar but there are some key differences. java will creep across what u put it on. the christmas doesnt do this aswell. it tends to grow out more than across. as u can see each "leafe" is fairly long and really busy. i tied a cump to my clay pot(which u cant really see any more lol) and it covered it but it didnt attach which was mainly becasue the it was too smooth so i ended up getting very bushy growth instead of it spreading left and right. it also likes a little more light than jave. make sure it isnt overly shaded by your other plants. if u attach it to wood or like u said mesh it should spread very rapidly outward and make u the ultimat cover. thanks for te comment by the way :) i love the lighter green comour of it comparedto the dark green of java. and the little white tips on the end of every little peice of it makes it look wicked awesome!

Ooh, harsh diss on the hornwort, Fish. It does, however, do a lot of what you're asking for. But if you're looking to aquascape with it, I'll agree it's not terribly attractive.

Pretty moss, MF. I've said it before, but I'm still jealous.

whast there to be jealous of lol. my tank conditions are terrible. low nitrates no other added ferts but my co2 is pretty decent. it is the simplist plant to grow!! i am sure if u tried it would out grow mine in a second!

Well I am going to find out some more about ambulia just to see if I could use it also. I really like the Christmas moss so it will be the first choice and probably the easiest to get from someone with it surviving the best. I might be able to find ambulia at my LFS but I doubt it and I doubt it ships very well.

czcz, how well do you think the christmas moss will grab hold of a really roughed up piece of ceramic bisque? Finding a piece of wood to fit the bill just isn't going to happen locally. Does it really grab on when it decides to and stay put?

if there is something for it to grab onto it will grab and never some off. i had some dried up algea on the clay pot and it actually managed to grab onto that and hold solid. i like the look of it when it grown on wood. more natural looking. i am sure there are a few members that would help u out with gtting some. i just send a huge clump to another member so i am kinda tapped out at the moment. i hope u find some.

Back
Top Bottom