Looking to Upgrade/Start Over... Please Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akrin1984

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Long story short... I recently got my 29G cycled thanks to helpful advice here, got some fish in the tank and finally realizing (albeit a little too late) that I should have gotten a bigger tank (dun dun dun!) to satisfy all my wants, schools of fish of different species, unique species, etc. So I'm looking to start over and upgrade to either a 55, 60 or 75 gallon tank.

I'm not really on a budget, just looking to get the best deal out there, after going through some money on the 29. I'm going to return some stuff that I still have the receipt for, like the stand, upgraded filter, LED light and sell the tank on Craigslist and hopefully get some money back. Obviously, bigger tank, more money. But I know I will want to buy everything separate (filter, heater, etc.) ended up replacing the original filter and heater that came with the Aqueon 29G Deluxe Kit lol

Just need some advice on tank size, filters, heaters, anything else I should know. Thanks!

Bigger is always better if you are up for the task :)

Keep an eye on Craigslist! I made the mistake of buying a brand new 75g retail for like $400 (with stand) then the next week I saw a complete setup for $500. There is deals if you look :) just make sure you leak test before you buy.

Caleb

Yep that's always the thing with buying used stuff. Sometimes you end up spending more on so called "deals".

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I heard bigger surface area is better, gives fish a bigger footprint. That's why I'm more drawn to the 75G, it's 48x18 SF compared to 48x13 with 55/60G. The thing is finding a good value.

My 75g is plenty big. Unlike the 55 it's wider giving you more surface area to work with.

Here's mine:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434642321.716338.jpg

Caleb

About how many fish can you stock in a 75 compared with 60?

PetSmart has Marineland 60G tank and stand for sale for $250, now why can't they put the 75G for sale lol

Isn't a 60 also 4 ft, the 75 is 5 inches wider though

Yes you are correct :eek: I was thinking of a different 60g tank. It was more of a cube style. I've never seen a 4ft 60g though.

Caleb

Interesting. My vote stands for 75g though because of the sheer surface area :)

Caleb

Yea I'm looking more at a 75G too, been scanning Craigslist ads all morning while in the office lol. Best one I could find was for $225, brand new.

Top Fin tank w/ hood at Petsmart for $189.99, but I'm not sure how reliable their tanks are.

For a 75G, I'm going to estimate the cost of a stand would be about $150 to $175 so I'd end up paying the same as you. You do have peace of mind if you buy brand new though, dont have to worry about leaks, scratches, stains, etc.

Dude has a 60G on sale on craigslist for $69, claiming brand new. I think he's clearing inventory. Asking if he has a 75G in stock for sale.

Caleb, I'm getting different dimensions for "75G standard", one website says 48x18x21, made by Marineland and another site says 48.5x15.5x25.1. So which is it? The closest thing on the second site that I can find close to the first site is:

80R____________48.5”x18.5”x23.1”__________$215.95

Back
Top Bottom