Lost of plant questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WizardHowl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,
I just started posting in this forum and I've received such great help already. I've had a 10 gallon tank for a long time, with 1 java fern. However, a local LFS is having a major sale this weekend, so now is the perfect time to upgrade for me. I will be getting all new equipment. Basically I don't know too much about planting and I've done some research but I really need advice. Basically I need to know what the perfect light, subustrate is. Here are my questions.

1. What I have in mind is something where I won't need to add CO2 but I'd still like to do a good amount of plants (such as some with red in it, I love the red color). Is this possible without C02? I plan to get either a 75 gallon or 90 gallon tank (do you prefer tall or wide?).

2. What lighting should I get, I know T5's are relatively new, will these be good, what abotu PC lighting? I have fluarescents on my 10 gallon, the bare minimum, and I can onlys upport things like java ferns. I'd like to expand, but not have to worry abotu C02, and I know htere is a balance between lighting and CO2. So what would you guys suggest?

3. What's a good substrate. Ive seen theres the eco stuff, but what about pool filtered sand, will this be fine for plants?

I think I'm basically looking at a medium light level.

I really appreaciate all your help, thanks!

1. Most red plants require an insane amount of light. You can probably grow them in a medium light setting, but that will probably require CO2 and a good dosing regimine. A good red replacing plant is Crypt Wendtii Brown. But its not really red unless you have very low nitrates.

2. Fluorescents work just as well as any other lighting type but you may have to build your own hood to get into the higher light levels. CF lights are usually the non-DIY option as many purchasable strips are easily medium and high light. Its kind of a personal choice. Try to stay under 2 WPG if you want to avoid CO2. FWIW, I would recommend CO2 regardless of lighting because it is just as important as lighting IMO.

3. Sand is fine. However, you will have to get plant tabs to fertilize rooted plants. Using eco, flourite or other stuff you usually can avoid this.

I can say that I never got the red color in my plants to come out without having to add CO2 somehow. I (currently) use a cheapo CO2 system http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...ll&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1
in my 125gal. I'm sure it's not sufficient, but it's something for the moment. Wider / longer tanks will give you a larger footprint, allowing for more territories to be set up, along with a lot more decor / plants. Most fish don't care much that the tank is extra tall.
If you read http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=84306&highlight= you'll see the lighting I use, both cheap and CF, as well as the substrate. Good luck, post some pictures when you get it set up.

Ok screw the red plants.

What about just normal green plants
Can I use a normal gravel, with cheapo fluorescent lights, and still do those tall sword/green plants? thanks!

I used cheapo florescent lights for the longest time, on my 55 gal. I had 2 sets from walmart, so 160wts on the 55 gal. Shop light fixture was $8, 'aquarium' bulbs were $7 each. Each fixture held two 40wt bulbs. Supplemented with flourish excel and the cheap CO2 thingy.

so with the cheap lights, and cheap co2 thing I can do some good green plants?

Should be. My plants are growing beter with increased light, more ferts, and such on my 125, but they grew quite well in the 55.

And for low light, CO2 is not a requirement either. Most plants will do just fine without it. It's just an added plus if you do. Also, if you go DIY, just remember you want a good CO2 levels. A fluctuating low CO2 level can also cause some algae problems.

Java Fern, Java Moss, and Anubias are three common plants that will grow well in low light, no CO2, normal aquarium gravel and are next to impossible to kill. Consider giving these a try. Just don't root them down too much as they are not really root plants...thats why they'll do fine in aquarium gravel.

As for lighting, I actually prefer normal fluorescent bulbs to anything else because the T8 bulbs are the most efficient energywise (barely), are widely available, and very well priced. People use CF because they are the mose efficient spacewise.

Back
Top Bottom