lots of questions! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh yeah they aren't staying long. They leave the fern alone as far as I can tell. And the elodea which is surprising. I tried explaining to her the tank is too small but she doesn't care....they're cute after all. .... x.x

Poor Fish :( Try explaining they can live over 20 years with good care. I doubt she'll care, but they are amazing fish that rarely get the care and respect they deserve.

Trained Fish Does Amazing Tricks - YouTube

The oldest living Goldfish to date was a goldfish named Tish owned by Hilda and Gordon Hand of Thirsk, N. Yorkshire, England. Tish lived for 43 years after being won at a fairground in 1956.
>>>>>>
Enjoy scaping your tank once the GF are out :)

great tank. are those all natural or are some plastic? i'm sure your ferns will perk up. i've been eyeing the aqueon t5 bulb system at the boxstores, they seem reasonable and have good reviews.

The taller plants are silk. I hate fake plants but the guy who sold me the tank gave me a bucketload of silk plants. They're kinds just filling the space. I transported all but one goldfish to another tank (20g long) and told my gf unless she buys a tank they're out of here! The lone goldfish is a (don't kill me) ammnoia source. However my tank is in the kitchen and thanks to the python I am doing 50% water changes when neccessary. He seems great, not to mention I do have a seeded sponge.

Thanks for all the compliments :) when I get ready to stock I think I'm going to plant most of the ferns into the driftwood. Perhaps start a rock formation some how with ferns everywhere. The piece of driftwood is just about the llength of the tank so I'm not sure how to scape just yet.

I have a question about the ferns. A lot are floating about an inch above gravel. I know the rhizomes need to be exposed but I'm wondering if the roots will eventually cling to the gravel? Or will they grow floating?

And lastly, I am worried about the black leaves. Some are spotty, some are quite black. Is this a sign of dying/melting? When do I pull a fern out? Ive read they're hardy but how close can they get go the point of death they they cannot recover?

So ive been toying around with stocking ideas. I am not sure how hewe fish do with live plants as I never went planted so feel free to bounce suggestions. Right off the bat I cannot stand platies, mollies, hatchets, danios and neons. Kinda lowers down the list. I'm thinking...

12 bloodfin tetras (or another schooling fish?)
1 Blue Gourami
6 Juli cories

According to aqadvisor that is a full stock.

ultimatedc said:
So ive been toying around with stocking ideas. I am not sure how hewe fish do with live plants as I never went planted so feel free to bounce suggestions. Right off the bat I cannot stand platies, mollies, hatchets, danios and neons. Kinda lowers down the list. I'm thinking...

12 bloodfin tetras (or another schooling fish?)
1 Blue Gourami
6 Juli cories

According to aqadvisor that is a full stock.

Your Blue Gourami may get mean, keep an eye on him. You probably won't find C. julii , but C. trilineatus is sold as julii in most LFS. They are very nice also.

Bloodfins look great against green plants ;)
With Cories make sure to use rounded fine sand or smooth small gravel. Plant substrates, just make sure it's not jagged.

Fish LOVE plants. None of your list eat plants. I'm not into Livebearers either except for having 1 male Guppy for 2 years.

Ive always had good luck with gouramis. Id love emerald green cories but they get pretty big. I have small gravel but it seems a little rough so I may rethink the corked.

ultimatedc said:
Ive always had good luck with gouramis. Id love emerald green cories but they get pretty big. I have small gravel but it seems a little rough so I may rethink the corked.

Emerald Green aren't actually Cories, they are Brochis Splendens, so they are a bigger fish.

As long as the gravel is clean they may be fine. Or you could push the gravel back and put a strip of sand in the front.

here is a video update . Relocated all the goldfish and by the huge bacterial bloom it's evident I'm still in the beginning stages of a cycle. Like I previously posted does the java fern look healthy? It's all covered in black dots at least some is you can tell of you watch in hd. I'm not too concerned as all of that was free just curious if they will bounce back. Now that fish are gone how will the plants receive nutrients? I don't want to dose so I've been adding sinking pellets to break down . Also can the cycling process kill these plants? What are good indicators that I should toss them?

Back
Top Bottom