lots of questions! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultimatedc

Aquarium Advice Activist
After a fulfilling run with saltwater I got out of the hobby about 3 months ago. It proved futile because I just couldn't help coming back. At this point in my life I don't have the money to make mistakes which is why I want to be prepared and prevent any plant loss!

First of all, I bought a 29g delude kit. 100w heater, 30-60g filter and a standard hood. Its a 30" fixture so if I'm not mistaken its an 18" 20w T8 bulb. Ive got river rock gravel currently.

My first question is should I replace my light? Or jjust the bulb? Id like a thriving garden but I'm not too sure if I want high light plant's. I love the aquatic grass and anubias.

Should I get a power head?
Additional supplements?
New gravel?
Best place to get plants online

http://i39.tinypic.com/120nvc3.jpg

That is the tank currently. I have one anubias plant and a few bunches of anarchis from petco. I heard it grew like weeds but ive never seen it...

Last edited by a moderator:
im not an expert on lights, but your lighting system is prob considered low because your tank is so deep.
replacing the bulb will not help you get much higher lighting.
if you want high lighting maybe one T5ho fixture?
not sure if that is too much, im sure someone will chime in.
gl with your tank, and itclooks awesome :)

woops forgot to answer your other questions.
your gravel is fine, a power head would not help, it may push plants
and small fish around. liquid ferts and root tabs will help the plants you plan on getting. if you get really high lighting i think c02 is reccomended. you could save money by making the c02 system DIY. if you look up DIY c02 videos on youtube they will give you step by step directions. i hope this helps

Thanks a lot :) I love those silk plants but I want the real thing. Id love a t5 fixture however id be concerned with temperature management this summer. I live in Arizona and ive really got to control myself in regards to ac use! Id be worried the T5 output may heat the tank too much. I was looking into some soil but I'm not sure if I like the look. Thanks for your input ill be looking into a co2 system :)

you could get a chiller, that would keep the temp down

i just got a deluxe 29 gal kit from petsmart aqueon. i am hoping the bulb would suffice for the low to moderate light plants you have. it might be harder to get lush groundcover with those lights. i don't know if the included bulb is equivalent to those marketed for plants, ie sun-glo/aqua-glow t8s

if my interest in the hobby lasts I'll probably change to a versatop with dual t5 bulbs by aqueon.

Gish said:
i just got a deluxe 29 gal kit from petsmart aqueon. i am hoping the bulb would suffice for the low to moderate light plants you have. it might be harder to get lush groundcover with those lights. i don't know if the included bulb is equivalent to those marketed for plants, ie sun-glo/aqua-glow t8s

if my interest in the hobby lasts I'll probably change to a versatop with dual t5 bulbs by aqueon.

The stock bulb is rarely best for plants.
Look for near 6,500K and maybe up your wattage if your fixture allows. Tall tanks need stronger light. T8s can grow low light plants if it's the right T8. But T5s are better or CFLs.

ultimatedc said:
Thanks a lot :) I love those silk plants but I want the real thing. Id love a t5 fixture however id be concerned with temperature management this summer. I live in Arizona and ive really got to control myself in regards to ac use! Id be worried the T5 output may heat the tank too much. I was looking into some soil but I'm not sure if I like the look. Thanks for your input ill be looking into a co2 system :)

I have my lights on a timer. I have them off midday when it's hot. You can always raise the lights up a bit or take off the top and hang the lights.

I think I will work up to a pressurized co2 tank but not anytime soon. I'm looking into t5 fixtures today. I had an ad on craigslist for plants and a lady gave me a huge bucket of Java fern and Java moss. Planted some of the ffern in the gravel, left some sitting and the rest and moss went into every nook on my driftwood. Ill add pictures later but it looks amazing! She gave me over 50 Java fern plants free! :D

man i just butchered that. heres what
i meant
man thats an awesome deal.
i cant type on my ipod :( lol

ultimatedc said:

I live in az as well and the t5 are ok for me. Just make sure you get one that sits above your tank. Cfls get hotter so I try to stay away from those.

ultimatedc said:
I think I will work up to a pressurized co2 tank but not anytime soon. I'm looking into t5 fixtures today. I had an ad on craigslist for plants and a lady gave me a huge bucket of Java fern and Java moss. Planted some of the ffern in the gravel, left some sitting and the rest and moss went into every nook on my driftwood. Ill add pictures later but it looks amazing! She gave me over 50 Java fern plants free! :D

Just make sure rhizomes aren't buried ;)
Great deal !

I live in az :( it sucks! I wasn't able to find a decent t5 fixture in my (current) budget. Considering all I have is Java fern, some moss and elodea I will let those grow in until I can find a decent light. Being impatient though I kinda wanna dose ferts. I heard excel melts Java fern so what are my other options?

Here is a pic of the fern. It looks to be suffering from nitrate deficiencies ...I'm assuming her tank didn't have enough nutrients? Who knows. She ran them through an algae/snail solution so hopefully they perk in a few weeks. I have the majority of the rhizomes sitting on the gravel, stuffed iin the driftwood and in little caves around the tank. Bacterial bloom as well, gf insisted on goldfish until we set up her tank.

Pretty good deal though for free!

Oops, forgot to attach picture. Excuse the camera phone quality.

Attachments

• 2012-04-17 20.06.51.jpg
    2012-04-17 20.06.51.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 53
Since she insisted on Comets, I hope she is planning a pond or a huge tank ;) Goldfish EAT a lot of plants, so don't get any others till they are OUT of the tank. There are certain plants that may survive Goldfish. You can Google that. Feed the GF Greens or Veggies to keep them from grazing too much. Zucchini, shelled peas (look it up), Romaine, etc...

Oh yeah they aren't staying long. They leave the fern alone as far as I can tell. And the elodea which is surprising. I tried explaining to her the tank is too small but she doesn't care....they're cute after all. .... x.x

Back
Top Bottom