Low growing grass type plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grounders

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all!

This is my first post so be gentle.

I'm just about to start looking for plants for my new tank. The tank is 5ft x 2ft x 2ft and to all intents and purposes it's my first tank.

(Actually, I kept goldfish and a few other hardy cold water fish for years until I moved to a different part of the UK a decade ago and left the tank.......but I did everything wrong: including scrubbing rocks, pressure washing gravel and all but sterilising everything every 6 months for a 'good' clean.....I didn't know any better! Anyway, I now understand quite a lot about about the ecology of a tank etc and)

So, as I say, to all intents and purposes this is my first tank.

To cut to the chase, I bought the tank to go in the brew room at work so my colleagues have something to look at when resting. We're all cricket groundsmen and work with grass so, sad as it sounds, we'd quite like a large part of the planting to look like grass, I.e. a carpet of grass over the substrata. We'll then put some feature plants in too of course.

My question is: what plants should we look at using so it looks most like a lawn? Hair grass grows taller than I'd like, though we might stick a bit of that in around the edges. I like the look of lilaeopsis, and I believe it only grows about 2 inches tall. Is there anything else that you think might interest me?

We've just set the tank up with a soil substrata covered with play sand (I put a open pored geo textile between the two as I intend to get some trumpet snails to stir the sand up etc but didn't want them contaminating the sand with the soil). I'll be maintaining the tank at around 24 or 25 degrees C (until told otherwise!) and I've set up a sump tank and wet/dry filter arrangement.

P.s. I know it's sad but we like grass!

I think people will ask what lighting you intend to use on the tank. I think a lot if the grasses need a fairly high light level. Lot of water for the light to penetrate through to reach substrate level. Add some details on your lighting and im sure some of the more experienced people on here can help

I think what you are looking for is dwarf hairgrass or dhg. To keep it short it does require higher light. It will also need co2, or high dose excel (glut). Sk3lly is right first things first what is your lighting?

I have dwarf hairgrass and have had to upgrade lighting to meet its requirements. CO2 is going in soon hopefully too

Thanks for the advice!

I'm not currently with the tank but I'm sure the lighting is pretty bog standard. I'm also hoping to get away without a fancy CO2 set up as I'd like the tank to be relatively low input so will probably have to reconsider, however I love some of the DIY projects I've found on the web so I might try a small scale CO2 generator just for fun. I've read a few articles that suggest that a soil substrata can help to negate the need for CO2 also. Will be interested to see the results.

This is all very interesting! Did you know that in the sports turf world that I inhibit there is now a company doing trials on CO2 filled tents ( with sodium lamp lighting) to help grow grass in stadia? If any one is bored, check them out. They are called 'seeGrow'. light rigs are nothing new but I thought they were crazy until I started looking into it......then I discover that you aquarists have been all over CO2 for years! brilliant! :)

Thanks for the advice!

I'm not currently with the tank but I'm sure the lighting is pretty bog standard. I'm also hoping to get away without a fancy CO2 set up as I'd like the tank to be relatively low input so will probably have to reconsider, however I love some of the DIY projects I've found on the web so I might try a small scale CO2 generator just for fun. I've read a few articles that suggest that a soil substrata can help to negate the need for CO2 also. Will be interested to see the results.

This is all very interesting! Did you know that in the sports turf world that I inhibit there is now a company doing trials on CO2 filled tents ( with sodium lamp lighting) to help grow grass in stadia? If any one is bored, check them out. They are called 'seeGrow'. light rigs are nothing new but I thought they were crazy until I started looking into it......then I discover that you aquarists have been all over CO2 for years! brilliant! :)

Funny how things are already being done, just in ways you never imagined. I think and i emphasise THINK you can get around not providing CO2 if you dose the tank with excel/glut. This provides the plants with a carbon source which is needed for growth. If you are thinking about doing planted, it may be worthwhile reading up on fertilisers. I think you can get away with little ferts if you go for a low tech low light tank. Of course youd need to select plants suitable for low light levels. If you go high lighting to get your grass then i think you will need to look into ferts. Stuff like nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium and iron. Theres also a whole load of micro nutrients plants need. Im just getting into this side of the hobby myself so have no real experience to offer you solid advice. Just my basic understanding

Yes you can do high dosing of glut daily. I always suggest using dry ferts. It's all a balancing act so you don't turn it into an algae farm. I also suggest using a dirted substrate, with either a sand or eco-complete fine substrate for a higher light tank.

Thanks.

When placing the inflow pipe from the pump is there anything I need to be aware of or avoid? Should I add a spray bar or not? Should I direct the flow anywhere in particular? And finally, could I add Co2 to the water in the sump tank just as it's about to flow through the pump....I.e. would this increase the Co2 as it was mixed in along the tube or would it not work like this?

From what I've seen on you tube a DIY Co2 set up is really easy.....plus instead of just using sugary water with yeast I don't see why you couldn't at least brew beer or wine instead and use the CO2 by product from it instead! I made ginger beer with the kids over Christmas and you wouldn't believe how much Co2 it produced! ��

A tank this size will never get by on diy co2. The cost of sugar alone and work to mix it is going to be huge. However a pressurized system can be acquired for $250 including a 5lb co2 tank. I would recommend you go that route.

You will also need very robust lighting to account for the depth of the tank

Mebbid I was just going to say the same thing! Yes for co2 you will need a pressurized system. I am just barely getting by with it and I have a 36g and a 37g tank.

If you are looking for a ground cover plant that is lower light & less fuss, look in to maybe dwarf sagittaria or Bacopa Australis. The dwarf sag does grow taller than hairgrass, but spreads well and doesnt require as much light or fancy co2 to grow. Bacopa is a nice easy growing plant as well, but you have to trim it or it will grow tall. If you trim it, it will spread runners and stay closer to the substrate. Both would do well with liquid glut dosing. Just some ideas.

I realise that this may be a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but how long would a 5lb Co2 bottle last?

My thinking with the DIY CO2 placement by the pump inlet was to make greater use of a small amount of CO2 I.e. offer it more opportunity to get into the water by letting the bubbles thrash about in the pipe work on the way to the tank. Presumably even with a diffuser attached most of the CO2 from a pressurised system fed directly into the tank just bubbles up and is lost to the air?.....I realise I'm probably miles off but just having a stab in the dark!

Have just looked glut up and if you're saying that stuff won't work in a tank my size then I guess that a DIY Co2 set up (even if I could afford the sugar) would be a total waste of time!

Most diffusers create very tiny bubbles that will optimally be absorbed into the water before bubbling out. Some will be lost but it shouldn't be much.

Back
Top Bottom