Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2017, 07:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I like to quote myself again:

So in other words a tank which is using liquid carbon like excel isn't high tech? You mean high tech means where we inject co2 and not liquid carbon? I am asking because I believe even with tge excel your tank can be classified as high tech if you dose liquid carbon and fertz. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif314 View Post
I like to quote myself again:

So in other words a tank which is using liquid carbon like excel isn't high tech? You mean high tech means where we inject co2 and not liquid carbon? I am asking because I believe even with tge excel your tank can be classified as high tech if you dose liquid carbon and fertz. Please correct me if I am wrong.

There is no right or wrong answer really. A lot of people will have different views of whatís low tech and whatís high.

Personally I believe that if u have a PAR over 50 at substrate level (lighting measurement) and your injecting co2 then your high tech.

If your below 50 and your using excel your low tech.

I disagree about using only excel as a carbon source in a high tech tank. Not only is it extremely expensive but there is no way u could hit the 30ppm target of co2 with excel.
4xt5ís is a fair bit of light but a lot of people would be running 8x on a tank that size on a high tech tank. Get up around 150 par at substrate and you would have an algae farm

Old 11-06-2017, 09:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Personally I believe if the question is so complicated (PAR, PPM, Ferts, Macros, Micros etc) you need to know all this stuff then itís High Tech.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2oo1 View Post
There is no right or wrong answer really. A lot of people will have different views of whatís low tech and whatís high.

Personally I believe that if u have a PAR over 50 at substrate level (lighting measurement) and your injecting co2 then your high tech.

I disagree about using only excel as a carbon source in a high tech tank. Not only is it extremely expensive but there is no way u could hit the 30ppm target of co2 with excel.
4xt5ís is a fair bit of light but a lot of people would be running 8x on a tank that size on a high tech tank. Get up around 150 par at substrate and you would have an algae farm
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
Personally I believe if the question is so complicated (PAR, PPM, Ferts, Macros, Micros etc) you need to know all this stuff then itís High Tech.
Thanks. I actually see some nice high power bright tanks running on excel at fish store. Mainly nano ones because excel is affordable for a nano tank. However I did see very bright lights and definitely those plants couldn't thrive without liquid carbon or fertz. I just hesitate to call that setup low tech because of the needs of plants.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2oo1 View Post

It depends on the fixture, if I ran 8 of the t5ho bulbs I was using it would result in a par of about 250 at substrate.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:03 PM   #16
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Freak

Would another factor be which species of plants are involved? You can have low light/easy plants in a high light excel only tank and they will grow very well, but throw in some high demanding plants in the same situation and I don't believe they would grow very well (compared to a high light + CO2 tank).

High/Med/Low tech IMO is exactly that, an opinion. That being said, the "general" guideline I am familiar with is:
high tech: high light, CO2 strict fert doing.
med. tech: med/high light, excel and fert dosing.
low tech: low/med light, some fert dosing.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:17 PM   #17
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I think there used to be a watts per gallon breakdown definition someone did (but all went out the door with LEDs). Even the reflectors (grouped or single) for bulbs might throw that old guideline out.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:48 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZxC View Post
Would another factor be which species of plants are involved? You can have low light/easy plants in a high light excel only tank and they will grow very well, but throw in some high demanding plants in the same situation and I don't believe they would grow very well (compared to a high light + CO2 tank).

High/Med/Low tech IMO is exactly that, an opinion. That being said, the "general" guideline I am familiar with is:
high tech: high light, CO2 strict fert doing.
med. tech: med/high light, excel and fert dosing.
low tech: low/med light, some fert dosing.
Well said yes. I think plants that are co2 demanding will need pressurized co2. In my case my plants are less co2 inclined so they are doing fine with excel only and with fertz.

Tags
high tech, question, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com