Low light plant ID help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vmax911

Aquarium Advice Activist
I finally got a few plants from the LFS after my petco non-aquatic plant incident. I went in and told the employee that I was looking for a few low light plants. I told him the the tank specs (see "my info") and we found the following plants. I would guess they are crypts of some sort, but I never got the names. Can anyone ID them and tell me if any need special treatment? I hear that if they are crypts, I need to get root tabs, correct?

BTW, no CO2 not dosing much of anything. The LFS guy did suggest I get a bottle of FloraPride, which I did. However, I tend to shoot a few squirts in when I do my weekly pwc. It seems the bottle I got would only last two weeks if I dosed at the level recommended, and I'm cheap. :) I do planning on getting Seachem Flourish Comprehensive when I get more plants. I can handle a capful a week.

Thanks All!

the first one I stand by my orginal ID of Hygrophila difformis

the second would be ROTALA rotundifolia

still looking up the rest.

The first plant is Hygrophila Difformis, which grows very different looking leaves depending on the amount of light it receives. The more light you give it the more frilly the leaves will appear.

The second plant is Rotala Rotudifolia (often mislabeled Rotala Indica) and showing some very nice pink at the tips.

Both of these plants should be okay with Medium Low Light be would be much happier with at least medium Light.

The third plant looks like it's probably some sort of Apothogen.

Not to sure on the last two, but could be Crypts.

If they are Crypts you should pull them out of the gravel slightly so that the crown isn't buried. While not completely necessary, they would benefit from a root tab and it would help prevent Crypt Melt.

bs6749 said:
Agreed. Aponogeton.

I'm not so sure on that one.

look up Cryptocoryne retrospiralis and Cryptocoryne spiralis. It looks pretty close to the retrospiralis. that would be my bet.

BillD said:
Or C. balansae (or whatever it is now called).

Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae. (if plantgeek is correct)

That it could be. We will just have to wait and see what happens. That's the one thing I find that's really nice about a planted tank, It's aways changing.

You are probably right. I didn't realize that crypts grew like that. It looks like one of those (retrospiralis or spiralis).

Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae. (if plantgeek is correct)

That was my guess as well. If the plant is rosettelike, and has normal roots. Then that is what it is. If it has a bulb, then an Apongeton. And, one other guess, because I cannot see the bottom. If it is leaves growing out of a Rhizome, then narrow leaf Java Fern (I have a fern with >12"long and 3/8" wide leaves).

I think the third one is Crypt retrospiralis....I have several of these plants and they look just like that one. I haven't kept balansae before though, but I thought its leaves were wider.

The last two are definitely crypts. The next to last one looks like C. willisi and the last looks like C. wendtii, possibly bronze? It has a bronze tint to it, but I'm not certain on that ID.

Thanks for all the info. Looks like they are mostly crypts, so I will have to get some root tabs for them.

I may also get some flourish sooner than I had originally planned. It looks like my brown algae (diatoms) is clearing up and being replaced by green algae and some "black fur" looking stuff. The plants may need a little boost.

Vmax911 said:
It looks like my brown algae (diatoms) is clearing up and being replaced by green algae and some "black fur" looking stuff. The plants may need a little boost.

That Black fur stuff is not fun to deal with. I am assuming you are talking about BBA. Once it gets introduced into your aquarium having low CO2 will only cause it to grow rapidly.

rkilling1 said:
That Black fur stuff is not fun to deal with. I am assuming you are talking about BBA. Once it gets introduced into your aquarium having low CO2 will only cause it to grow rapidly.

Hmmm... I went low light so I wouldn't have to worry about CO2. Am I doomed now? Guess I better do some research...

Vmax911 said:
rkilling1 said:

Hmmm... I went low light so I wouldn't have to worry about CO2. Am I doomed now? Guess I better do some research...

I guess i should have clarified that a little more. Having medium to higher light and varing or low CO2 will induce growth of BBA.

Here is a good source of info to read thru:

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/brush-algae.html

Back
Top Bottom