Low light planted tank list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brox

Aquarium Advice Freak
I finally got a light for my tank it's a 36 inch coralife t5 double fixture 42 watts total can any of these plants grow in this? Thanks :) also suggestions are appreciated
Java fern
Anubias
Java moss
Moss balls
Christmas moss
Anacharis
Dwarf sags

Brox said:
I finally got a light for my tank it's a 36 inch coralife t5 double fixture 42 watts total can any of these plants grow in this? Thanks :) also suggestions are appreciated
Java fern
Anubias
Java moss
Moss balls
Christmas moss
Anacharis
Dwarf sags

Is it a T5 HO fixture ? With High Light you may need CO2. What size is the tank ?

All those are low light, easy plants. Just learn about Light/Ferts/CO2 balancing so you don't grow lots of Algae.

What substrate ?

Consider some Crypts :)

I would have to guess it's a normal output since a 36" t5ho bulb is 39 watts.
Are the bulbs full or daylight spectrum? They should be.
Could probably also grow some jungle vals or hornwort too.

I will use Eco complete substrate, Flourish products, tab fertilizer. It's for a 40B I assume I'll be ok? Pretty sure it t5 but doesn't say on box, there 2 diff lights 1 is daylight 2nd is similar I guess

FishEggs said:
I would have to guess it's a normal output since a 36" t5ho bulb is 39 watts.
Are the bulbs full or daylight spectrum? They should be.
Could probably also grow some jungle vals or hornwort too.

Doesn't hornwort float and effect lighting for plants?

Brox said:
I will use Eco complete substrate, Flourish products, tab fertilizer. It's for a 40B I assume I'll be ok? Pretty sure it t5 but doesn't say on box, there 2 diff lights 1 is daylight 2nd is similar I guess

Sometimes the second light is Actinic, useless for plants. Check and see what it says on the box and on the bulbs. If you can post a pic of the writing on the bulbs that would be great :)

With floating plants wouldn't they cover the light of my plants? It's a color max bulb for the 2nd

Anyone got ideas on the post above me

Coursair said:
I thin out my floating plants as needed.

Color max ? Ok, what wattage? What Kelvin rating ??

21 watts idk what kelvin rating is, my lfs said this would be good for low light plants, box says brings out natural beauty in tank

And enchanted color for fish and plants

Brox said:
21 watts idk what kelvin rating is, my lfs said this would be good for low light plants, box says brings out natural beauty in tank

Never mind. All I was asking was to write what is written ON the bulb Or to take a pic of the writing ON the bulb. I didn't think that would be hard to do.

I wrote Aqueon/Coralife awhile ago, I just found the email:

"Although it does not look like it due to the amount of red spectrum in the bulb, but the Colormax bulb is in the range of 8000K according to the Plankian Locus (Kelvin graph).
They were not designed that way as we just designed them to enhance the colors of fish so there was never a Kelvin rating advertised. It wasn’t until a number of years later was there a Kelvin test done on the bulb.

Regards,

Rob Moneyhan
Central Aquatics Tech Lead
Kent Marine, Coralife, Aqueon, Oceanic, Zilla"

Coursair said:
I wrote Aqueon/Coralife awhile ago, I just found the email:

"Although it does not look like it due to the amount of red spectrum in the bulb, but the Colormax bulb is in the range of 8000K according to the Plankian Locus (Kelvin graph).
They were not designed that way as we just designed them to enhance the colors of fish so there was never a Kelvin rating advertised. It wasn’t until a number of years later was there a Kelvin test done on the bulb.

Regards,

Rob Moneyhan
Central Aquatics Tech Lead
Kent Marine, Coralife, Aqueon, Oceanic, Zilla"

Oh that's what the K means sorry I'm a noob in this stuff. Sorry thanks for the info though

i have .6 wpg on my fifty gallon tank are there any floating plkants i can get? listening to someone on here mention it got me thinking[dont mean to get you too far off the original poster]

Back
Top Bottom