low light plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquachris

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
for a 55 gal tank (48 inch long), how much light is really needed for low light plants? we're gonna have eco complete on bottom. and would like a variety of different low light plants. Our current fixture is just a t8 fixture. I saw at home depot today, these bulbs called Glo, power glo (t8). they're suppose to be 18,000k. btw, our 55 gal tank, the ballast, only can have two 18 inch bulbs in it. So would two of those power glo's (18 inch) be enough?? If not, I know I'm gonna have to buy a t5 fixture, to just light some low light plants.

I would suggest a minimum of 2 32W (48") T8's. Although some really low light plants (Java ferns eg) will survive at 1/2 that level, they won't really grow. Your current setup is ~30 W, it will be a challenge to grow anything.

If you are good at DIY, you can get a 2x32W shoplight (with an electronic ballast) & use the guts to refit your fixture to take the 2x48" T8's. Otherwise, a new T5HO at 54W would be nice over that tank.

I personally prefer Current USA fixtures to the ones by Coralife. Both are good brands. The biggest problem I have with the fixture you're looking at is that it comes with bulbs geared for a saltwater setup, so you'd need to replace one of the bulbs immediately if you wanted to take advantage of all the lighting. Check out the Current USA fixture at the same site, it's got a Freshwater option. Even though it'll cost a small amount more, the fact that you don't need to replace a bulb will make it less expensive.

aw thanks. that one from current does look better. and it's only a few bucks more. that's great. I'm liking big al's right now, cuz of the 10% off codes out there right now, plus free shipping. so makes the prices even better. Thank you for showing me that current one :)

do those come with their own reflectors for each bulb? fishneedit has some good lights at low prices. i would check them out. t5ho or t5 dual fixture going to give you more options.

Back
Top Bottom