Low light plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on the plants. Heavy root feeders like crypts and swords will benefit from the root tabs because their roots draw in most of their nutrients, but most stem plants and plants like java fern, anubias, mosses and so forth will need ferts in the water column.

For ferts that go directly into the water column many of us buy dry ferts to save on money in the long term.

What causes light brown spots on leaves. I know it's a deficiency but of what. Haven't been very diligent with fert dosing as of late. The spots are on the water wisteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What causes light brown spots on leaves. I know it's a deficiency but of what. Haven't been very diligent with fert dosing as of late. The spots are on the water wisteria.

Do they wipe off easily ? They could be diatoms.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fertilizers and Low Tech Tanks

Hello Cal...

If you stick with the dark green plants that don't require planting, you won't need to use commercial fertilizers at all. I've kept species of Anubias, Java fern, Banana plants, mosses and a few kinds of floating plants like Hornwort, Pond weed and Pennywort. These don't require added fertilizers. If you avoid commercial ferts, you never need to be concerned with overdosing chemicals and fouling the tank water.

Stock the tank well with compatible fish and feed them a varied diet. The dissolved fish waste and frequent water changes will supply all the ferts the plants need. Attached is a pic of such a tank.

B

Hello Cal...

If you stick with the dark green plants that don't require planting, you won't need to use commercial fertilizers at all. I've kept species of Anubias, Java fern, Banana plants, mosses and a few kinds of floating plants like Hornwort, Pond weed and Pennywort. These don't require added fertilizers. If you avoid commercial ferts, you never need to be concerned with overdosing chemicals and fouling the tank water.

Stock the tank well with compatible fish and feed them a varied diet. The dissolved fish waste and frequent water changes will supply all the ferts the plants need. Attached is a pic of such a tank.

B

Hmmmm I'm never concerned with overdosing Ferts, and they've NEVER fouled my water. Most newbies are eager to see plant growth. Ferts help with that , plus healthy plants help fight algae.

I know your method works for you, but since I learned from Tom Barr and other experts in my club and my tanks are awesome to me, I'll stick with what works for most people.

Ferts aren't unnatural "chemicals" they are the same components the plants use in nature. Just packaged in an easy form.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello Cal...

B

Thanks BBradbury. I'm just concerned about my water. It's very soft and doesn't contain as much fertilisers as many people who have harder water. After sitting for a week the plants have more than used up the supply that went in. I'm certain in my case a steady source of additional ferts are required.

Hmmmm I'm never concerned with overdosing Ferts, and they've NEVER fouled my water. Most newbies are eager to see plant growth. Ferts help with that , plus healthy plants help fight algae.

I know your method works for you, but since I learned from Tom Barr and other experts in my club and my tanks are awesome to me, I'll stick with what works for most people.

Ferts aren't unnatural "chemicals" they are the same components the plants use in nature. Just packaged in an easy form.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1!!!

Im of the same opinion.

Not a follower of the 'dont dose ferts', 'fish provide enough' way of thinking. I know for my light level this advice would lead to an algae farm and a lot of ruined plants

+1!!!

Im of the same opinion.

Not a follower of the 'dont dose ferts', 'fish provide enough' way of thinking. I know for my light level this advice would lead to an algae farm and a lot of ruined plants

Like.. duhhhh..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have two tanks with plants but with different approaches, expectations, and results. I enjoy them both.
My high tech tank gets the CO2, daily ferts, and generous lighting. Plant growth is great. But a pita at times for the same reason. However, the pearling is intoxicating...
My low tech tank is just that. No CO2, glut, or ferts. The supposed monthly root tabs are probably three times a year. No vacuuming of the substrate. Just water changes. Bradbury would be proud I'm sure. The dual T5 NO produce low light for some undemanding crypts and moss. Yes, a little limiting on the plant variety in there. It's a refreshing break from the other tank. You are probably thinking "hey fresh, those crypts need root fertilization". True. In the last few months the MTS took over in that tank they have been tunneling in the substrate and pooping up a storm. I would think that it would count towards substrate fertilization in some degree. I do not see much, if any, algae in that tank which is home to only RCS and snails.

The extra nutrients will not also benefit algae?

They absolutely will benefit algae but only if your running too much light paired with an inadequate co2 source.

Co2 supply and distribution around the tank is the single most important factor in preventing algae.

The EI dosing method is based entirely around flooding the tank with excess nutrients. Far more than the plant can use. This is to ensure the plant has all the nutrients it needs to prevent deficiencies. Even the dreaded nitrate and phosphate that the uneducated think cause algae get dosed excessively. Look up this dosing method online.

If we didnt keep fish in our aquariums then we could crank up the co2 to the max and we'd never get algae. Its only due to livestock that we need to monitor the co2 levels. Lighting levels need to be dialled in with the correct co2 levels to find a balance.

I also believe test kits to be fairly pointless.(nitrate and phosphate). Your plants will tell you what you need to know. If theres algae then theres something not quite right. The more algae the further from the balancing point you are.

Hope this makes sense

Ok yeah that makes sense. I maybe need to get some liquid carbon I haven't been dosing co2, figured their would be enough maybe I am disturbing the surface too much and releasing too much co2? The tank sits directly opposite a window but the blinds are always shut in that room. My gf won't let me close the thick dark brown curtains all day that would surely stop any light getting in. The lights are on between 6 and 4 hours.

Back
Top Bottom