Low light plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nortzy21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all, I own a 75 gallon tank containing the inhabitants listed below. The tank is quite bare so I'm looking to add some live plants to liven it up a little bit but I am taking the proper steps before I do that. Right now, the tank is being lit with a a simple clip-on fixture and a strip light fixture that both have UVB bulbs in them for my turtles. I am looking to replace the small bulb in the clip-on fixture for a stronger bulb adequate enough to support some low light plants. Obviously the turtles in the tank are very messy and the substrate is always shifting so I'm looking for some hardy, low light plants to get. I also understand that the turtles may eat the plants so maybe there are some plants that don't appeal to them. The tank is 75 gallons like I said so it's pretty deep so I'd like some tall, bushy plants. I have many tetras that don't have much hiding spots so the plants may make up for that. I also know that plants will encourage the tetras to possibly breed. ANY input or advice is highly appreciated! ??

Here is a pic of the light I want to replace the bulb in:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421960352.573753.jpg

And here is an idea of the bulb I may get:

Aqueon 50/50 Mini Compact Fluorescent Bulb at PETCO

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Nobody? Any advice is highly, highly, highly appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Blah. That bulb is a waste of money and will protrude from that light. Get a 23 watt- 6500 k GE cfl from walmart..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 for ge bulbs. My neighbor had a 55 gal turtle tank. I gave him many low light plants, java fern, Anubias, water sprite, and duck week and all of it was eaten within a week.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

50/50 are more for saltwater. The Actinic is for corals and useless for plants.

If you feed your turtles plenty of veggies and greens, some plants might live ?

Or net off a planted section ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom