low light plants and thier light needs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thomas.w

Aquarium Advice Activist
Wanted to know what's a good par number for low light plants. My tank is deep 21" with substrate I have read 30ish micromoles is ideal par for plants but what plants low, med, or high light? I am growing swords, crypts, anubias, java fern, and barely growing vals with two 4' t12 40 watt fluorescent mid day bulbs. No co2 no ferts except root tabs and dosing excell by the instructions with reg. Gravel in a 90gal tank. I want to move to LED and was wondering if 21 micromoles is sufficient for what I have and if not and I get two lights at 21 micromoles each would that be too much? Wow I think I just aged writing that lol. Anyhow chime in lets hear what yas think.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130726_174222.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130726_174222.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 63
Wanted to know what's a good par number for low light plants. My tank is deep 21" with substrate I have read 30ish micromoles is ideal par for plants but what plants low, med, or high light? I am growing swords, crypts, anubias, java fern, and barely growing vals with two 4' t12 40 watt fluorescent mid day bulbs. No co2 no ferts except root tabs and dosing excell by the instructions with reg. Gravel in a 90gal tank. I want to move to LED and was wondering if 21 micromoles is sufficient for what I have and if not and I get two lights at 21 micromoles each would that be too much? Wow I think I just aged writing that lol. Anyhow chime in lets hear what yas think.

Hey! I have been researching this myself. Here is a great post (from another forum, hope thats ok) about LED's and PAR etc. Seems like you have low light plants, so approx. 10-30 PAR is needed to support them. I think the 21 would be enough.

The planted tank is another great forum. I would check out Finnex lights, as well the new USA Current LED's.

LED Lighting Compendium

Back
Top Bottom