Low light plants for a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltesemolly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have only had my 20 gallon freshwater tank for about three weeks now. I only have a moss ball and a lucky bamboo stick (are these ok to have in the tank fully submerged?). The rest of the plants are fake.

I would really like to make my aquarium look natural, and take the fake plants out. What are some good low light plants that are easy to care for where I won't have to worry about the Co2?

Any suggestions would be great. :)

I have only had my 20 gallon freshwater tank for about three weeks now. I only have a moss ball and a lucky bamboo stick (are these ok to have in the tank fully submerged?). The rest of the plants are fake.

I would really like to make my aquarium look natural, and take the fake plants out. What are some good low light plants that are easy to care for where I won't have to worry about the Co2?

Any suggestions would be great. :)

The bamboo needs to have its leaves above the water line or it will rot eventually. The moss ball is fine. There are a ton of low light hardy plants that dont take much effort on our parts. Check out liveaquaria.com or aquarium plants.com and look at their low light categories, see what you like and then we can tell you how to best care for them. Good luck! Live plants are an amazing addition to the aquarium

Thanks, the liveaquaria website was helpful. I guess I need to find a taller bamboo stick then, did not realize they needed to stick out of the water.

Looking at the plants on that site, I really like the "fuzzy" look to the Cabomba,
Myrio - Green, and Anacharis. Although looking at the info, I think those would need Co2 supplemented and fertilizer... are there any plants that look a little like those that would be easy? I also liked the look of the Moneywort, but it says that one needs more sunlight.

I also thought about getting the Spiralis, Java Fern, and Amazon Sword Plant. Would these plants be ok for low light, and no Co2 added?

It does make a difference in growth of plants along with fertilizers. You can try with DIY CO2 for a small tank or use Excel(liquid carbon) to see how it goes. I have a 55GL and DIY CO2 did not work well so i switched to pressurized CO2.

No you don't need CO2 especially if your going to run a low light tank. Adding a Liquid Carbon such as Excel or API CO2 Booster would be good and aid in photosynthesis and plant growth. Also using a liquid fertilizer such as Flourish Comprehensive weekly after WC's will be a big plus for plants. Plants such as Swords and Crypts will need root tabs added around their roots as they are heavy root feeders.

What exactly is your lighting and bulbs? This will determine what plants can be used in your tank. Crypts planted in your substrate will work in very low light tanks. Anubia, Java Ferns, and Bolbitus are all good low light plants suitable for attaching to DW. Java Moss can usually grow in low light tanks, it will just grow slowly.

Back
Top Bottom