Low-Light Plants: Shopping Online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

somecallmedaniel16

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well for a while I had begun to plan for a high-light planted tank but recently I have decided against it and I am now more decided on a low-light tank, since I will probably not have enough time and money to maintain a high-light, high-maintenance freshwater tank. So! I am just looking around on the internet for fairly-priced, low light plants. eBay has a few sellers that look like they have good prices, even with shipment costs. Even though I don't doubt there has already been a thread concerning this, does anyone have any suggestions for places to shop for live plants? Or maybe suggestions of plants to get?

By the way, I have a 20 gal high tank with about 15 fish.

Moss, crypts, anubias, java ferns.
15 watt isnt much light so you'll have pretty slow growth.
I've bought from aquabid before with good results.
Check the classifieds here too. You can usually get some good prices.

65w over the 20 will be a little harder to control. i suggest is getting a incandescent hood and using 2 cfl bulbs like you find at walmart or home depot. look for the 6500k daylight bulb this way you get more light over the tank but not so much where you will have algae problems. as for plants send me a pm i have lots of different anubias crypts ferns and other low light plants that will work.

65w over the 20 will be a little harder to control. i suggest is getting a incandescent hood and using 2 cfl bulbs like you find at walmart or home depot. look for the 6500k daylight bulb this way you get more light over the tank but not so much where you will have algae problems. as for plants send me a pm i have lots of different anubias crypts ferns and other low light plants that will work.
but wait, where can i find the incandescent hood?

yes it would. might even want to put a local craigslist listing often people have them and dont use them.

...as for plants send me a pm i have lots of different anubias crypts ferns and other low light plants that will work.

Could another low-light newbie jump in on this offer? :D
I desperately need a couple more plants to fill in my tank and help fight off algae.

check out bigalsonline.com also for strip light upgrades.....you can get a 24" CF fixture for $45 I am looking into it for my 29.

check out bigalsonline.com also for strip light upgrades.....you can get a 24" CF fixture for $45 I am looking into it for my 29.
I see the one you are talking about. Another seemingly good choice for my tank, as it would provide more light than I have but still keep me in the low-light range, for a fair price. Would the T5 light count more towards the wpg of my tank? I assume that this would be a 15w + 14w T5 light?

I see the one you are talking about. Another seemingly good choice for my tank, as it would provide more light than I have but still keep me in the low-light range, for a fair price. Would the T5 light count more towards the wpg of my tank? I assume that this would be a 15w + 14w T5 light?
t5 are great lighting option. not sure how you got 15 and 14 but look on the fixture for the total wattage.

well 28w 14+14. it was the different numbers that threw me off. its like what 24 inch right? i think i have that same fixture its a good one. grew lots of plants in a 20 long.

Back
Top Bottom