Low light tank Qs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a low light 60g. I am starting to go planted. 2 Qs:

1. If I stick with low light, as long as I only get plants ok for low lights is there any reason I can't end up heavily planted?

2. If I do end up heavily planted and can't vacuum all the gravel I assume all the bad stuff gets used up by the plants? I have cories so I know I need to keep the substrate clean and just wondering how that works if you can't get to it because of plants! I know you can go around the plants, but if it's heavily planted I guess you really can't.....

Thanks

Yes you can end up with a heavily planted tank. Especially if you use fast growing plants like water sprite. In my experiances, there is no need to gravel vac if it is heavily planted. If you have open areas that you can get to, do it. Otherwise just let it be so you don't mess up the roots.

Yes you can end up with a heavily planted tank. Especially if you use fast growing plants like water sprite. In my experiances, there is no need to gravel vac if it is heavily planted. If you have open areas that you can get to, do it. Otherwise just let it be so you don't mess up the roots.

Ok thanks!

Your Tank

I have a low light 60g. I am starting to go planted. 2 Qs:

1. If I stick with low light, as long as I only get plants ok for low lights is there any reason I can't end up heavily planted?

2. If I do end up heavily planted and can't vacuum all the gravel I assume all the bad stuff gets used up by the plants? I have cories so I know I need to keep the substrate clean and just wondering how that works if you can't get to it because of plants! I know you can go around the plants, but if it's heavily planted I guess you really can't.....

Thanks

Hello sal..

If you select dark green plants, they should do fine in lower light. Anubias, Java fern, any of the mosses like Christmas and Singapore, will give you a nicely planted tank. Floating plants like Anacharis and Hornwort floated close to the light source should grow very well. Avoid the light green aquatic plants, they'll require stronger lighting.

The organic material (ditritus) that falls to the bottom of the tank doesn't need to be removed. It will dissolve in the tank water and nourish the plants. Any excess nutrients are removed through large, frequent water changes. Larger tanks, like your 60 gallon need a 50 percent water change every couple of weeks to maintain stable water properties.

B

Hello sal..

If you select dark green plants, they should do fine in lower light. Anubias, Java fern, any of the mosses like Christmas and Singapore, will give you a nicely planted tank. Floating plants like Anacharis and Hornwort floated close to the light source should grow very well. Avoid the light green aquatic plants, they'll require stronger lighting.

The organic material (ditritus) that falls to the bottom of the tank doesn't need to be removed. It will dissolve in the tank water and nourish the plants. Any excess nutrients are removed through large, frequent water changes. Larger tanks, like your 60 gallon need a 50 percent water change every couple of weeks to maintain stable water properties.

B

Great thanks! That is what I thought but wanted to check. I do 40-50% water changes mostly every week or at least every 2 weeks now anyway so that works.

Low Light Planted Tanks

sal...

Attached is a pic of a low light planted tank.

B

Attachments

• Low Light Planted Tank.jpg
    Low Light Planted Tank.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom