Low Light Tank Question!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am planning on doing a substrate change quite soon from regular gravel to flourite, and adding some mopani driftwood which I have been boiling for a couple days. Currently I have 1.5 w/g with a couple java ferns, jungle val, crypt wendtii, anubias nana, and anubias coffeefolia in my 20 gallon.

I have noticed there is some brush algae on the glass, and on both anubias. I was wondering if maybe after this change I should use floruish excel to help with the problem. I don't know if it will help me remove the algae or if I need ferts in a low light tank. There is no CO2 injection in my tank either and maybe this will help the plants grow and remove the algae? Im not quite sure, so I need some advice. Thanks!!

If I am not mistaken, I think that floursih excel will make the vals melt.

As far as the algae is concerned, what is your lighting schedule? Brush algae, if that is indeed what it is, is tough to iradicate. Are you sure that it is brush algae? I don't think this type typically grows on the glass.

I had the same problem... Im not 100% sure that it was bba, but it was dark almost black, hair like, and went crazy... after doing a 4 hour on, 4 hour off, 4 hour on lighting schedule, its all gone now. It was bad too, all over the glass, anubias, filter, all my HM, even had some growing on a mystery snail... id try doing that lighting method before trying to use other means to get rid of it

Im almost certain its brush algae, black like hairs that come to a point which is hard to remove, there isn't much on the glass but its taking over the anubias and I do not want an outbreak. I do 20% pwc every week. My oto's don't touch it either.

I had read somewhere that it is caused by fluctuating CO2 levels which is why I am thinking excel may help. If the vals melt I'm not too worried as Im rescaping and adding more plants anyways.

As I said I am revamping the tank so I will manually remove all I can see and maybe clean the plants in a bleach solution, but I am sure it only takes one small spore to start again.

sounds exactly like what i had... does it almost look like carpet on your anubias leaves? mine also grew all over the stalks of some of my plants, and grew in clumps on my HM which covers the whole bottom of my tank...

Yes its thick and black and doesn't come off easy, I can see a couple spots on my crypt. The only way I can get the small pieces off my glass to is with a razor blade.

im not sure if anybody else has gotten rid of it as easily, but the 4 on, 4 off, 4 on method worked really good for me... 2 weeks after noticing the problem, there is NONE in my tank now :)

So basically you had your lights on at two different periods a day? Im gonna remove my old gravel and clean the **** out of the stuff, my worry is it wont be enough :( Im also adding driftwood which I know can also be attacked by the stuff.

yes, i have a timer set so that my lights are on from 7am-11am, then off from 11am-3pm, then they come on at 3pm and off at 7pm. I saw somebody on here recommend it and it really works... I always do a 50% pwc, and while using my python, after the first week, it i took the gravel vac tube off and just used the smaller 3/4" tubing to suck the algae off, most of it came right off... it was like the shorter photo period caused the algae to lose its grip and it came right off. worked for me at least :)

Alright thanks for the advice, gonna start doing that right away!

you can dip the plants in a h2o2 or excel to kill off the algae. since you taking everything out anyways it shouldnt be too hard.

Yes thats what I plan on doing, except in a diluted bleach solution because I do not know where to find h202.

Problem with hydrogen peroxide is that I live in Canada and my local pharmacy does not carry it. So I am just going to go with a 1:19 bleach water solution and quickly dip the plants in and then rinse with water.

BBA is a #@&^$%. I've been battling it for many months now. I also tried breaking up the photo period, but I was only leaving an hour or so between periods and that hasn't worked for me. So after readin Rookie's post I have just increased that to 4 on, 4 off, 4 on.

I've had it on the glass, substrate, plants, and most bizzare, I get it on the holes of my spray bar. So much for the stuff not liking water movement, LOL.

If you're happy to lose vals and crypts, try triple-doses of Excel every two days for a couple of weeks and break up the light period. See if that helps.

If after 3 weeks there's no change, try introducing CO2 if you can. But bear in mind that DIY co2 can't be regulated and the CO2 fluctuations might make the problem worse, not better.

So much for the stuff not liking water movement, LOL.

Actually it likes water movement. I have it growing in a star pattern on the front glass of my 55 and it's basically outlining where the filter return hits the glass and spreads out. I hate the stuff.

As far as I know the only fish that will eat it is a Siamese Algae Eater. Mine do keep it in check (ie I don't get the bushy look) but I still get these brownish spots on everything. If I find a way to eradicate it I'll be sure to let everyone know.

I had a pretty awful outbreak of BBA that I just couldnt get control of, so I took advantage of a weekend trip I was going on and covered the tank with towels for a full 3 day blackout. cleaned it right up and havent seen any since (knock-on-wood...).

Just make sure to do your fish the courtesy of a heavy water change and feeding both before and after the blackout.

As far as I know the only fish that will eat it is a Siamese Algae Eater. Mine do keep it in check (ie I don't get the bushy look) but I still get these brownish spots on everything. If I find a way to eradicate it I'll be sure to let everyone know.

And newfound will be my newfound best friend if that's the case...

You could buy 100 Caridina sp NTnilotica (they're sold here as Darwin algae shrimps) and let them loose. That's assuming you can get them where you are.

I witnessed 4 of my guppies going at some BBA on one of my anubias and no matter how hard they tried they couldn't get it off. A couple minutes later they just gave up and moved on.

Back
Top Bottom