Low Maintnance High Quality Planted Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I did yesterday

Yesterday was a huge day. It was my 6 months filter change(rinsing 6 Fluval Fx5 Filter Sponges in Used water from the aquarium). I also changed 40% of the water(which I do weekly) and scraped the back wall of the aquarium. During water changes I add Liquid ferts in the form of the Seachem Flourish once a month. I add it to treated water I have mixed Seachem Prime into(which I highly recommend). I added a larger air stone under the "log" for maximum gas diffusion. This is not a CO2 diffused aquarium only do I use room air. I have a good cleaner crew and live plants so I never disturb the bottom which is Seachem Black Flourite(Medium Corse) this substrate is mineral enriched which I also recommend.

Filter changes every 6 months.
Water changes of 40% weekly and algae clean up with a hard sponge.
Liquid Ferts 1 time a month.
Plant trimming once every two weeks.
Lights on and off with day light.
Food flakes 2 times a day with the addition of blood worms and algae wafers twice a week on different days.

Hello Fish...

A nicely maintained tank. I would recommend changing half the water or a bit more. Larger water changes mean less filter maintenance because the filtration equipment is simply turning over water that's essentially toxin and particle free.

If you have a well stocked tank, fish wise, then commercial ferts can be left out of the equation. It's likely just me, but I haven't found any ferts better than the version the fish produce. A good fish load, the approprate lighting and an aggressive water change routine and the plants have everything they need.

If you have a filtration system that turns over roughly 4 times the volume of the tank every hour, you'll have sufficient gas exchange. Too much surface movement will remove too much CO2. The plants need a steady dose of it for good growth. I'd lose the air stone.

Good idea not to vacuum the substrate. The fish and plant material that falls to the bottom of the tank will dissolve and those dissolved nutrients feed the plants.

Unless you're raising fry, feeding can be kept to a little bit, a couple of times a week. Fish can easily go for longer periods without food. Foraging for those small leftovers, keeps them active and healthy. The tank stays much cleaner too. Fish are lucky to eat once a week in their natural living areas. So, multiple, daily feedings just make them lazy. A combo of frozen, freeze dried and very little flaked works well. Check ingredients, though. A lot of additives, just means a longer shelf life for the product and those don't do your fish much good.

Follow your own path, of course. You're the "Head Water keeper".

B

hey thanks for the info

Hello Fish...

A nicely maintained tank. I would recommend changing half the water or a bit more. Larger water changes mean less filter maintenance because the filtration equipment is simply turning over water that's essentially toxin and particle free.

If you have a well stocked tank, fish wise, then commercial ferts can be left out of the equation. It's likely just me, but I haven't found any ferts better than the version the fish produce. A good fish load, the approprate lighting and an aggressive water change routine and the plants have everything they need.

If you have a filtration system that turns over roughly 4 times the volume of the tank every hour, you'll have sufficient gas exchange. Too much surface movement will remove too much CO2. The plants need a steady dose of it for good growth. I'd lose the air stone.

Good idea not to vacuum the substrate. The fish and plant material that falls to the bottom of the tank will dissolve and those dissolved nutrients feed the plants.

Unless you're raising fry, feeding can be kept to a little bit, a couple of times a week. Fish can easily go for longer periods without food. Foraging for those small leftovers, keeps them active and healthy. The tank stays much cleaner too. Fish are lucky to eat once a week in their natural living areas. So, multiple, daily feedings just make them lazy. A combo of frozen, freeze dried and very little flaked works well. Check ingredients, though. A lot of additives, just means a longer shelf life for the product and those don't do your fish much good.

Follow your own path, of course. You're the "Head Water keeper".

B

thanks a lot

GBR's

Hey fishy friends. Look what I got... two Male German Blue Ram Cichlids. I will be trading the following fish in 2 Pearl Gourami's, 3 Neon tetras, 5 pepper or marble Cory catfish and 2 sword tails. I am going to try and get 3 Emperor tetras and some female GBR's....
Here is my male GBR's acclimating

Back
Top Bottom