Low/med/high lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_Blueberry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm curious what the watts per gallon breakdown is to be considered low, medium, and high light conditions.

<1:1 low
1-2:1 medium
2+:1 high

Am I even close?

Your Lighting Question

I'm curious what the watts per gallon breakdown is to be considered low, medium, and high light conditions.

Am I even close?

Hello Super...

The following is the list I use:

Up to 1 watt per gallon of tank volume: Low
Up to 1.5 watts: Moderate
Up to 2 watts: Strong
Up to 3 watts: Bright
Up to 4 watts +: Very Bright

If you have close to 2 watts per gallon of tank volume, you can grow most of the aquatic plants available.

Ideally, you want 6500 K, flourescent bulbs. These come closest to natural daylight at 5500 K. Apparently, the light blue color is recommended for aquatic plants. This is the "old school" rule for lighting, but it eliminates all the "brain damage" of figuring out Lux, Lumens, PAR, etc.

B

Am I even close?

Yep .. Figuring out WPG can lead to cranial overload. In general the scale BBradbury mentioned is what's used for T12 - T8 bulbs. The WPG rule kind of goes out the window when you deal with T5's, LED's, CFL's etc which are higher output bulbs.

Then to complicate the issue:facepalm:, is your tank a tall or long .. ex 20gal vs 20long? Plants in deeper tanks will have lower light levels than shallower longer tanks.

As BBradbury said, the 6500K is the color temp range you ideally want with plants.

Lighting Question

Yep .. Figuring out WPG can lead to cranial overload. In general the scale BBradbury mentioned is what's used for T12 - T8 bulbs. The WPG rule kind of goes out the window when you deal with T5's, LED's, CFL's etc which are higher output bulbs.

Then to complicate the issue:facepalm:, is your tank a tall or long .. ex 20gal vs 20long? Plants in deeper tanks will have lower light levels than shallower longer tanks.

As BBradbury said, the 6500K is the color temp range you ideally want with plants.

Hello jc...

Good point. Since I've never used high end lighting, I'm not privy to the latest on the subject.

Thanks!

B

Hello jc...

Good point. Since I've never used high end lighting, I'm not privy to the latest on the subject.

Thanks!

B

Same here ... the single 32watt T8 bulb in my 75 would definitely have to qualify as low light ...:lol: .... so my first higher lights will probably either be an Aqueon Dual T5 fixture ... or a Marineland Double Brights LED's

With higher output lights, one would be better off using PAR instead of WPG ... the link below is a good reference, T5HO's and compares it to T8's for example.

Hope it helps!

PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC - New Chart
Thanks!
Same here ... the single 32watt T8 bulb in my 75 would definitely have to qualify as low light ...:lol: .... so my first higher lights will probably either be an Aqueon Dual T5 fixture ... or a Marineland Double Brights LED's
Do not get the LED fixture expecting it to be quality light. Go with the t5. Those marine land leds are not good for plants.

Do not get the LED fixture expecting it to be quality light. Go with the t5. Those marine land leds are not good for plants.

yeah I've read a lot of back and forth about those LED's, i figure they are bound to be better than what I've got. I've read they do the job for low light pants which is what I intend on keeping. I really want them for the shimmering effect, I also intend on keeping the current fixture. My 75 should just be wide enough to fit both.

Probably will not happen till the summer do it's my current light for now.

Back
Top Bottom