Low Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stefernini

Aquarium Advice Freak
50g, dual T5HO 6500k lights on about 8-9 hours a day, magnum 350 filter. I have only recently added Co2 and the tank has been running since mid/end January and has been cycled since the beginning of February.

My plants: Bacopa, Java moss, java fern, wisteria, skinny leaf ludwigia, micro sword, glosso, moss ball, star grass, cabomba, frogbit, dwarf water lettuce, pennywort, amazon sword

My fish: A dozen cherry shrimp, 8 celestial pearl danios, 2 otos, an albino bn pleco, 4 lemon tetras, 2 honey gourami, 3 swordtails

I have a major algae issue going on and I'm not seeing the plant growth I was hoping for and I think it's actually because I have too little Nitrates. :blink:

Since the tank stabilized, I have never seen the Nitrates above 10 and most of the time the color is light enough I'm sure it's below 5. I do weekly water changes of roughly 25% simply to keep up on the poop, not to control the chemicals. Ammonia and Nitrites are 0, pH is consistently 7.8. Apparently, I have an awesome filter. The pleco and otos all have fat bellies and are constantly pooping, so I know they are doing their job, but not eating what is driving me the most nuts.

Anyway, here's my question: What's the best fertilizer I can add to supplement the plants for the missing Nitrates?

I use flourish once or twice a week, have eco-complete, and have stuffed root tabs in it.

I am thinking about adding a couple nerite snails and some amano shrimp to take care of the hair/string algae and the green stuff on the walls for an immediate fix, but I would like to figure out the cause for a long term fix, any ideas besides too little nitrates?

Thanks in advance.

I had the same hair Algea growing in my heavily planted tank as well. My fix was to cut way back on the lighting to 4-6 hours a day. I also replenished my DIY Co2 setup. I believe some of the hair/fuzz algae grows when there is low CO2.

I also did a 3 day blackout with towels wrapped around the tank so no light could get in.

As for the green spot algae, you just need to manually scrape that off.

I've been scraping the walls as needed, but scraping everything else is a pain. I've only had Co2 for a week and a half.

I had a 1/2 gallon diy setup, I just added another 1/2 gallon to the setup. I'm hoping that will help.

I worry about die off if I lower the light period. I was leaving the light off entirely one day a week, but now I have a timer so I won't be doing that. I could do a black out for a day or two tho I guess and see if that helps.

Any ideas for supplements for the plants? Am I wrong about the low nitrates causing slow growth of the plants and too much algae?

Back
Top Bottom