Low-Tech 10g Planted Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with the aforementioned thoughts on one large school. If it were me I would be between the Espeis, Von Rios, and CPDs. I would say a decent school of them would look great in there. Especially if you get colors that would contrast the plants in your tank.

Which, by the way, the tank is looking A-mazing! I am really loving how it is coming together!

for CPD's it would be about $51 shipped (SM & HN1) for 11, where it would be (I think) about $45 or so for the others. So hard to choose! lol. Thanks lm, btw.

Well I think I have enough money now but I just can't decide between the CPD's and the Espei Rasboras, they're both so cool. What do you all think?

Since I voted for both lol, that makes 1 vote for espei and 3 for CPDs. I'll try to get a prepaid visa Wednesday or so and load it so I can start a paypal so that I'll get em faster :D hopefully soon after I can afford some moss, and then around my bday maybe some shrimp :crazyeyes:

If you set up a shrimp tank earlier, you could sell them on ebay (or here) and bring in some extra income. Most groups of 20ish shrimp are going for 25 shipped lately (last summer they were at 15-18ish shipped) so that means around 6-8$ for shipping, or maybe 60$ a month if you have a big enough tank. A 20 long with a few sponge filters will probably be your best bet. Since the petco sale ended, it's 31$ for a 20L and maybe 15 for both sponge filters, and I'm assuming you have an air pump. After a few months, you'll be able to recoop your initial investment in around a month, and rake in like 60-100$ a month (estimate). The longer you wait before skimming off the top (shrimp-wise) the faster your population will grow.

If it's heavily planted (I think this was the tank), the danios (if they behave like zebras) will stay near the top unless they see a baby shrimp in the leaves of a plant or on the bottom. I think a baby shrimp may be tempting enough to move to the bottom of the tank, or since they're normally higher dwelling fish, they may ignore the shrimp entirely, and you'll have your colony. You'll also want to put a prefilter over your (I'm assuming hob)

Thanks. I wasn't necessarily intent on breeding the shrimps, but if they do that's fine and I'll just sell the extras that make it. Where could I get a pre filter?

You could find some open cell foam at some store (make sure it isn't treated for fungus) or get one of those foam squares that you put in filters and put a hole in the center for your intake pipe. You could also use pantyhose and a rubber band/ziptie

Thanks, that's a good idea. I'll see which is cheaper. So I Wednesday I'll check out the prices on them and the prepaid visa/master card and see if I should get one of them, or a money order. I also have to ask my mom if I'm allowed to buy $60 worth of fish haha. So you all think 13 would be an ok number?

Well I got to thinking, maybe it isn't the best time to order some fish. I mean its hot outside, and its just supposed to get hotter through the summer, and I can't afford express mail, and it wouldn't be SO much faster since priority takes 2 days or so. Idk...

Alot of sellers put in ice packs. I forget it if was you or agp, who got dw and snails, and the icepack was.. let's just say not an icepack anymore :p

I saw at walmart the other day, it was 3$ for one of those, and I think they were reloadable, but I might be wrong.

Oh, and with a prepaid visa and paypal you have some protection. Money orders, not so much. With people here you can generally trust them, but then there's those "other people":roll:, Also you'll get your stuff about a week sooner.

Yeah I know, that's why I was going to do what I could to get a prepaid visa, still not sure on the weather though :|

Let me know if your rotala or ludwigia don't do too good or if you just want more. I'm always trimming mine (right now I have tons waiting to be planted int he new tank) and send it for just the price of shipping.

ok, good to know. Thanks. I have another 10g too, maybe I should plant it too haha, too bad it has a bad outbreak of GSA, but I'm going to try to get one of those horned nerites. I have a few apons in there but they aren't doing too hot, I don't know what to do with them tho. What kind of rotala/ludwigia sp. do you have?

Back
Top Bottom