Low-Tech 10g Planted Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, since I can't do a reef with my 10g, I've decided to do a planted tank. Today I picked up some pfs at Walmart, washed it out and added it, along with a few rocks. I might fill it up tonight just so I can start cycling. I hope to get some dw and a heater before its done and hopefully some plants. I have an incandescent fixture with 2x10w Tubular Full Spectrum CFLs (which soon I might replace with 15w 6500K spirals but I think I'll let these bulbs finish their job first. Right now it has a Walmart filter, but sometime, if I get the money, I hope to upgrade to an AC 20.

The pfs I got today seems a little finer than the pfs in my mbuna tank. I think it will be ok, but I might get some MTS for it just as a precaution. I stacked it almost 3" in the back and about 2" towards the front.

Here are some pictures of my progress so far:

img_1123728_0_3793beed1f2494951a1cf155704aff1d.jpg

img_1123728_1_b66af4ea3c36fe0f8afa3a32315a13bc.jpg

img_1123728_2_6d89349722b5c92f39fa7edb83e436a8.jpg

img_1123728_3_9d6316748f0d77ff96b76e02560339ee.jpg

img_1123728_4_b9989affb18718732444401f86bb364d.jpg

img_1123728_5_1ffe02d3927bc63413ee2a2e92a99f0b.jpg

btw. I have taken out the two slate rocks that stacked on each other since the pictures were taken cause I didn't really feel like they went with the others.

So what do you all think?
I'll keep you updated :D.

Ok so I'm wondering, if I do PWCs and Top off with RO water (I'm pretty sure it isn't DI) would I have to use prime or another similar dechlorinator? I looked on the filter and it said "Reduces Sediment and Chlorine Taste & Odor". I didn't say that it eliminated chlorine. It is a Whirlpool Wher25 unit in case thats necessary information and uses Whirlpool filters.

There will be no chlorine in it, as chlorine RUINS the membrane in the system.

I use RO/DI and I don't add any dechlorinator.

RO water isn't PERFECTLY pure, but I'm not sure what is left, I don't think any of what's left will require a dechlorinator.

You might want to try to get the water before it hits the big tub thing I see in the picture when I google it, as I THINK that thing adds something to the water to make it taste better, but I MAY be wrong. EDIT: I'm wrong, it's just a storage tank. :)

It's just a storage tank... My mistake :D:D You'll be fine getting it after the tank.

:popcorn: nom nom nom lol thanks. So I'm probably going to fill the tank tomorrow, since its kinda late now. I'll keep you guys updated.

So for starting out I was thinking about stocking with these plants:
4 Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green
3 Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red
1 Anubias Barteri Var. Nana
1 Java Fern Windelov (Microsorium Pteropus "Windelov")
3 Ludwigia Natans (Ludwigia Repens)

So what do you think? More or less of any of them?

I would love to suggest something but I have no idea what you are talking about lol. You mean like a carpet plant? There are lots of things you can do with java moss and mesh... I love anubias too and thanks for that site I will be ordering from there also when I get plants.

np. Yeah, that's what I mean, a carpet plant, one that covers most of the space unused by the taller plants. I've never really seen anubias as a carpet plant, most of them might even get to big for my tank excluding the nana and nana 'petite' (although the petite isn't cheap lol).

I read some of the comments and that moss isn't completely aquatic. I might get some christmas moss, if budget allows lol, but I'm not 100% sure how that would work out as a carpet plant. I'll have to google christmas moss carpet I guess lol. Thanks tho :D. Are there any species of anubias anyone could recommend for my size tank other than Nana and Nana Petite?

Ok, so I've done a litlle a research and it seems that moss isn't the easiest carpet plant, since I don't really want to use any mesh to try to hold it to the substrate. Maybe I could use Marsilea or Hairgrass. What do you all think?

Back
Top Bottom