Low tech and gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan87500

Aquarium Advice Freak
My kids wanted a fish tank so I have now found myself reading about tanks non stop. First you all have amazing setups.

They obviously want some colored gravel. I wanted to try and put a few low tech plants in the tank. Is that possible with putting colored gravel in?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

One more thought. Would the make sense to put a thin layer of proper substrate live Eco complete down then gravel on top. Not sure if that would look bad or even make a difference.

Thanks

Java moss is a good one, and what exactly is the light your using?

The tank came with a standard T8 reflector. I was planning on taking out the inners and replacing modifying it to have 4 - CFL bulbs based on some of the DIY projects I have seen online.

Unfortunately I am on a somewhat low budget so trying to get the proper setup without overkill.

Crypts, Anubias, java fern, hornwort, anarchis, amazon swords, penny wort and wisteria are all low light, low tech plants. You'd need root tabs for the crypts and swords and the Anubias and fern are best tied to rocks or drift wood. Pennywort anarchis and hornwort are all best left floating in your tank.
Yes I'm pretty sure you can cap Eco complete with gravel. You'd want smaller rounder bits of gravel though just to make planting a little bit easier. You could always do a sand cap I'm sure that could work. Sand is cheap too you'd want pool filter sand.

Crypts, Anubias, java fern, hornwort, anarchis, amazon swords, penny wort and wisteria are all low light, low tech plants. You'd need root tabs for the crypts and swords and the Anubias and fern are best tied to rocks or drift wood. Pennywort anarchis and hornwort are all best left floating in your tank.
Yes I'm pretty sure you can cap Eco complete with gravel. You'd want smaller rounder bits of gravel though just to make planting a little bit easier. You could always do a sand cap I'm sure that could work. Sand is cheap too you'd want pool filter sand.

For the sand cap I would put sand down then gravel on top of that?

For the sand cap I would put sand down then gravel on top of that?

No sorry I meant sand capping instead of a gravel one. I understand your kids with the colorful gravel but maybe a little persuasion with a natural look which tends to bring out a fishes colours a lot more could generate their interest.

Thanks for the advice. We are going to a LFS to look around this weekend so maybe I can persuade them!

Sorry one more question. Will any plants work for my setup that will grow somewhat tall for the back of the tank?

I might call around my area tomorrow to find if I can find a supplier of the Spectra Quartz. I believe that comes in different colors and might be better than gravel.

If your getting bottom feeders like cories, then make sure the quartz isn't sharp or the will wear down their whiskers to dust

Back
Top Bottom