Low tech nano tank stem plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azmodan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Restarting my 5.5 gal betta tank and looking for some suggestions for stem plants that won't take over the tank.

5.5 gallon tank
Finnex Fugeray
No pressurized CO2 but supplementing with glut
PPS-Pro (gonna tinker with dosage when the time comes)
Eco Complete

Some plants I'm considering:

Ammania sp. 'Bonsai' (think this would do ok without pressurized CO2?)
Hemianthus micranthemoides (with frequent trimming)

Any other recommendations/suggestions? Might go hygrophila heavy too.

Ammania Bonsaii

I have the Bonsaii. It is one of my favorite plants. I just use Glut for carbon and PPS-Pro for ferts. See attached pic. OS

Attachments

• DSCF1045.jpg
    DSCF1045.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 172
The Myriophyllum Mattogrossense looks great! I think I will try that. I've got some recently planted ammania bonsai in my extremely similar ten gal tank and just seeing how it does in that. One of my favorite plants for sure in terms of appearance.

Just out of curiosity how do you guys feel about blyxx japonica in smaller tanks? Never actually tried the plant so not too sure its potential size and such.

Thanks!

Hello az...

You're doing your tank a serious injustice if you've left Anacharis (Brazilian Water weed) and Pennywort off your list of stem plants.

Both are undemanding about lighting. Floated close to the light source, they grow very well in subdued to moderate lighting. No CO2 needed. These are second to none in removing nitrates from the water. Anacharis also gives off a mild toxin that discourages the growth of most kinds of algae. I keep these two in all my large, planted tanks. They require little or no maintenance.

B

The Myriophyllum Mattogrossense looks great! I think I will try that. I've got some recently planted ammania bonsai in my extremely similar ten gal tank and just seeing how it does in that. One of my favorite plants for sure in terms of appearance.

Just out of curiosity how do you guys feel about blyxx japonica in smaller tanks? Never actually tried the plant so not too sure its potential size and such.

Thanks!

I love blyxa, it grows pretty bushy and big but I suppose you can trim it and separate any baby shoots to sell or replant elsewhere. Also, I think the Fugeray will be very capable on a 5.5g, you'll probably get by fairly easily on moderate light plants. You'll be at least 30 to 40 PAR... You'll be able to grow a good amount of plants, even carpeting foreground plants if you wish, with ferts & glut considered.

I love blyxa, it grows pretty bushy and big but I suppose you can trim it and separate any baby shoots to sell or replant elsewhere. Also, I think the Fugeray will be very capable on a 5.5g, you'll probably get by fairly easily on moderate light plants. You'll be at least 30 to 40 PAR... You'll be able to grow a good amount of plants, even carpeting foreground plants if you wish, with ferts & glut considered.

Carpeting plants! This just got interesting... After reading Bill's 12 gallon long thread it's made me a little hesitant to try HC (the maintenance part mostly, although I know his situation was different with the Ray2). But essentially things like HC, DHG, and staurogyne repens could work? I also just tried some downoi in my 10g and it failed miserably but I'd like to try again in this tank.

Hello az...

You're doing your tank a serious injustice if you've left Anacharis (Brazilian Water weed) and Pennywort off your list of stem plants.

Both are undemanding about lighting. Floated close to the light source, they grow very well in subdued to moderate lighting. No CO2 needed. These are second to none in removing nitrates from the water. Anacharis also gives off a mild toxin that discourages the growth of most kinds of algae. I keep these two in all my large, planted tanks. They require little or no maintenance.

B

Great plants for sure! My only worry is that Excel/glut supposedly melts the anacharis. I like the dwarf pennyworts quite a bit though.

If you can find any Rotala Mini Butterfly it's tiny delicate leaves and rich red color is great for nano tanks!

Back
Top Bottom