low tech planted 55 gallon advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harlebora

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I am looking to plant up a 55 gallon tank with low tech plants that need very little co2 or high lighting levels as its my first planted tank and want to start out nice and easy. My question is will I need a soil layer then covered with a layer of gravel or can I leave out the soil and just put down a 2" layer of fine gravel for the plants to root into (this is what I am hoping to do)? Also is a circulation pump a good idea?
Some of the plants I was going to use were: bacopa, amazon sword, ludwigia, java fern and anubias. Thanks.

You don't need soil as long as you use root tabs, you can make your own with osmocote + and gel caps (from amazon) or you can buy them already made. Have you considered using pool filter sand or black diamond blasting media (coal fines bought at tractor supply store). When your plants start growing or you add more plants it will be harder to clean the gravel. Most here very rarely siphon or vacum the gravel so they don't disturb the plants. With sand (or black diamond) snails, shrimp, or corycats can find uneaten food before it breaks down, keeping your planted tank clean.

You need enough flow that your plants leaves sway slightly. I find that 2 hob filters (l prefer Aquaclears) provide sufficient flow. The extra filtration is very good for a planted tank.

Many on here recommend overfiltering, planting heavily, and stocking lightly.

Hope this has been helpful, lots of good info here, just keep asking questions.

Thanks toolman. I was thinking of 2-4mm sized gravel but might try the sand you suggested since I did want to add corys and think sand is better for them than small gravel pieces for them to forage through is that right enough?

Sand is better for corys, but many of us here have raised them for decades in fine gravel and they still thrive. The fear of gravel is a bit overstated IME. Half my tanks are still fine gravel and the cory are quite fine.

Sand is better for corys, but many of us here have raised them for decades in fine gravel and they still thrive. The fear of gravel is a bit overstated IME. Half my tanks are still fine gravel and the cory are quite fine.

Thanks for that I did prefer gravel over sand. I was thinking of gravel around 2-4mm is that a fine enough grade of gravel for the corys? The plants should hopefully be happy enough in there too.

Is the tank already setup? Or are u starting fresh? To be honest it's hard to pass up the benefits of soil and you will end up with a tank that's much easier to balance and nutrient rich.

I'd go with a 1 inch soil layer with an inch capping of sand or gravel.
No need for co2 but I would dose excel to recommended along with some NPK ferts. Either EI or PPS pro or the seachem line. Seachem will be expensive for a 55 tho.

For the sake of a $10 bag of soil u will never need to worry about the addition of root tabs (atleast for a long time) and if the tank is not yet cycled the soil will help kick start the cycle.

Remember the golden rule. Fertiliser from day 1, start with your lighting low as possible and work your way up, plant as heavy as possible, add maximum co2 u can untill your plants adjust to the new enviroment.

Don't be afraid of soil, the benefits are much better in the long run.

I can give u more info on how to go about using soil if you like?

Thanks Bert2001 for the info and yes if you can tell me anything more about how best to use soil as I have never used it before then I am happy to learn. The tank is currently not setup and is due in 2 weeks time so I am trying to get as much info and decide on what I want for the tank.

I will add an inch of soil like you suggested and 1-2 inch of fine gravel. I was rather hoping not to use co2 or any additional fertilisers (liquid or root tabs) due to the plants being the hardier low tech type. Would it be ok to use them to introduce the plants to the tank like you suggested then stop once there settled or must I continue even with low tech plants to have them look good?
Thanks for all the info it's appreciated.

Thanks Bert2001 for the info and yes if you can tell me anything more about how best to use soil as I have never used it before then I am happy to learn. The tank is currently not setup and is due in 2 weeks time so I am trying to get as much info and decide on what I want for the tank.

I will add an inch of soil like you suggested and 1-2 inch of fine gravel. I was rather hoping not to use co2 or any additional fertilisers (liquid or root tabs) due to the plants being the hardier low tech type. Would it be ok to use them to introduce the plants to the tank like you suggested then stop once there settled or must I continue even with low tech plants to have them look good?

Thanks for all the info it's appreciated.

I'd still dose some macros atleast once a week even after the plants have settled in. U can stop the excel dosing after a month if u wish, Just means u will get slower growth. The extra co2 is good to get them established tho and the glut in excel helps keep initial algae blooms away.

Try to get an organic top soil with no added fertilisers. U want one that has abit of peat mixed in with it aswell. A lot of people use miracle grow organic top soil. I used Osmacote seed raising mix.

You can also add a layer of red clay between the soil to give abit of extra iron. U want red modelling clay or clay powder. Steer clear of polymer clay. Organic is best.

Best way to put it in the aquarium in tip it in and rack it back an inch from the front and side glass (just so the gravel fits between the glass and soil) as it looks a lot neater.

Once you've got the soil in and the gravel cap over the top put a plastic bag over the gravel and slowly fill the tank (pouring the water on the plastic bag to stop any stiring of the substrate. Fill the tank completely and then drain it to the substrate level. Do this 4 times over.

Don't add any fish untill your ammonia levels reach 0. Plant as heavy as u can. It's best to fully plant your scape at the start rather than planting over a few weeks.

Dose ferts from day one aswell as excel.

This should help :)

I'd still dose some macros atleast once a week even after the plants have settled in. U can stop the excel dosing after a month if u wish, Just means u will get slower growth. The extra co2 is good to get them established tho and the glut in excel helps keep initial algae blooms away.

Try to get an organic top soil with no added fertilisers. U want one that has abit of peat mixed in with it aswell. A lot of people use miracle grow organic top soil. I used Osmacote seed raising mix.

You can also add a layer of red clay between the soil to give abit of extra iron. U want red modelling clay or clay powder. Steer clear of polymer clay. Organic is best.

Best way to put it in the aquarium in tip it in and rack it back an inch from the front and side glass (just so the gravel fits between the glass and soil) as it looks a lot neater.

Once you've got the soil in and the gravel cap over the top put a plastic bag over the gravel and slowly fill the tank (pouring the water on the plastic bag to stop any stiring of the substrate. Fill the tank completely and then drain it to the substrate level. Do this 4 times over.

Don't add any fish untill your ammonia levels reach 0. Plant as heavy as u can. It's best to fully plant your scape at the start rather than planting over a few weeks.

Burt, this is excellent information. I have used flourite black sand and dark in my aquarium. As far as everything you have suggested, I have done it right. Lol planted heavy at once and started doseing right away.

My question for you is do you have a type of chart to follow for dosing and fertilizers on what days? I have seacham products and after looking at the seacham website, I am more confused as to what to do. I have just been adding the macro's as well as Excel and trace.
Any advice would be awesome!
Thanks a bunch

Burt, this is excellent information. I have used flourite black sand and dark in my aquarium. As far as everything you have suggested, I have done it right. Lol planted heavy at once and started doseing right away.

My question for you is do you have a type of chart to follow for dosing and fertilizers on what days? I have seacham products and after looking at the seacham website, I am more confused as to what to do. I have just been adding the macro's as well as Excel and trace.
Any advice would be awesome!
Thanks a bunch

I'd just dose recommended on the bottle and then alter it if u see deficiencys or build ups in your test results. If your going over 40-50 ppm of nitrates in a week then drop back on the nitrogen. If your plants are curling or looking burnt cut back on the trace. If your getting pin holes in leaves u need to increase your potassium. High levels of phosphates arnt harmful in anyway, infact they help keep GSA away

I'd just dose recommended on the bottle and then alter it if u see deficiencys or build ups in your test results. If your going over 40-50 ppm of nitrates in a week then drop back on the nitrogen. If your plants are curling or looking burnt cut back on the trace. If your getting pin holes in leaves u need to increase your potassium. High levels of phosphates arnt harmful in anyway, infact they help keep GSA away
Really? Cause I thought phosphates at high levels were deadly to fish.
This not true?

Really? Cause I thought phosphates at high levels were deadly to fish.
This not true?

I at may be but those levels are extremely high. I've read forums where people have over 10x dosed phosphates to EI (well above seachem dosage) with no negative effects. Apparently plant make up is majority phosphate and all phosphate does is increase growth rate at high levels. However there is no need for it to be so high. Just enough to keep GSA away is fine :)

I've 4x dosed with no noticeable effect

Same. I've had phosphate above test kit levels and needing lots of water changes to reduce after accidentally using phosphate-based buffers. No issues but I think it's better for fish health to have just right for plants / low as possible.

Ok. All good things to know.

Sorry to take the thread away from original poster.
Back to you Harlebora. ?

Thanks for the info again Bert2001

Ok. All good things to know.

Sorry to take the thread away from original poster.
Back to you Harlebora. ?
No problem Kaneu it was an interesting read :popcorn:

I agree with toolman and burt, there are some low cost options out there I have a tutorial/vlog on what I did to setup a low-tech 55

I agree with toolman and burt, there are some low cost options out there I have a tutorial/vlog on what I did to setup a low-tech 55
That's a nice tank.

Do you use any type of CO2 injection? Cause I'm debating if I need it or should just keep doseing excel

No injection and I dose when I remember too. Its the fullers earth and my fishload mostly, However from time to time I will use the iron, potassium, and the nitrogen from seachem i think its the vitro I could be wrong I barely use it. but thanks I appreciate the props man.

No injection and I dose when I remember too. Its the fullers earth and my fishload mostly, However from time to time I will use the iron, potassium, and the nitrogen from seachem i think its the vitro I could be wrong I barely use it. but thanks I appreciate the props man.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/images/smilies/Thanx.gif

Oh and sometimes i use the excel get that 3 pack they sell with the flourish the iron and the excel and you should be fine. I cant say it enough do water changes and you will be amazed

Thanks Warriorplantedt that's the setup am after very low tech nice informative video and awesome tank you have. I am looking to do something similar as yourself thanks a lot.

Back
Top Bottom