low tech plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corydoralover

Aquarium Advice Activist
Which plants require no co2 injections and grow in 30 watt lights and regular aquarium sand?

It depends on how big the tank is as well as what type of lights they are. There is a HUGE difference between 30w of light on a 10g vs a 55g tank. There's also a huge difference between 30w of t8 lighting vs 30w of LED lighting.

Assuming this is a low light setup I will suggest java moss, java fern, bolbitis, and anubias.

Its a 10 gallon and if i added liquid plant food would it be alright with fish?

How many bulbs does the fixture have and what type are they? T8, T5no, T5HO, or T5HE?

As for fertilizers I would only add aquarium specific fertilizers. Most terrestrial fertilizers are loaded with either ammonia or nitrate.

I have a 10g that's working on indirect lighting only and yet the growth has been pretty lush so far. Java fern, mosses, hornwort, anubias, water sprite, echinodorus vesuvius will all work. Even hygrophila polysperma grows really well in the areas that get a little more light (and I do mean a *little*) to the point where I have to trim them every few weeks.

Stay away from any high light plants like cabomba and bacopa and you should be ok. Often the high light plants will still grow in a low light tank but they'll grow with fewer leaves at the bottom, or grow slower, or will not have the red color that they would in a high light tank.

Back
Top Bottom