Low Tech Set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeysFish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys , I’m thinking about turning my 20 gallon non planted tank into a planted tank within the next few weeks or months. The tank I have now is already cycled and I have 3 shrimp and 7 minnows . I don’t have anywhere else to place the fish or shrimp , so how would I convert the tank without finding tiny fish a new temporary home. Also, what are some good substrates to use and lighting . I don’t want to co2 inject yet maybe later down the line but as of right now could someone please list some good low tech plants , pocket friendly substrate and a good enough light to grow the plants. And would I be able to use my pre existing substrate on top of the new soil I have ? Finally, what are some good non demanding plants that would be good for a beginner such as myself? My budget for this project is around $300 and if I could save money in anyway that would be helpful! I know there’s a lot to cover so if you take the time out of your day to help me I would greatly appreciate it ! :)

There are a bunch of easy plants.

What is your substrate now?

You could change things this weekend if you wanted.

You can use sand, like pool filter sand or construction sand. May end up with diatoms and will need to rinse them pretty well.

Eco complete is a good basic substrate, you can get the 20lb package from petco for $22.06 as of today, and buy online and save 10% to pick up today in store. (if it is in stock) Probably other good options online and maybe in your lfs for 4th of July sales. Even cheaper on amazon with Prime but you wait for it.

What kind of minnows do you have?

Moss tied to driftwood easy as it gets.

Crypts, most (commonly found) of them are low light agreeable

Dwarf or regular Vallisneria or Dwarf Sagittaria

Java Fern any type - Narrow leaf is really cool so is Windelov this plant is tied to stones or DW, it has a rhizome which should not be buried in the substrate or it can rot, roots can grow into the substrate.

Bucephalandra which I would buy from a hobbyist normally as you will likely get a better value and know that it grows fairly well and fast as they have extra to sell.

Anubias of all shapes and sizes

Back
Top Bottom