Low tech to high please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You are very correct.

The more wattage means the more powerful they are.

The other thing to make sure is that you choose the Hagen LIFEGLO bulbs as these bulbs are a better COLOUR for growing plants. 6700k.

The standard T8's with your tank are Hagen POWERGLO and AQUAGLO both rated around 45w with the colour 18000k. Not great for growing plants.

If you veer away from Hagen then you need to keep within the colour spectrum 5000k-10000k which will grow plants. The ideal being 6400k.

You ideally want to achieve over 2w per gallon.

So for your 63gallon tank you need at least 126w of light.

If you add 2x54w T5HO's this gives you 108w added to whatever wattage your T8's are currently. But I would change your current T8's to the LIFEGLO versions by Hagen.

I do plan on documenting my installation once my T5 lamps arrive.

Jon

Ok thanks ill probably do what your doing but with the 54watt gonna order them now look forward to your thread

No probs.

Firstly I would check your current T8's to see whether they are POWERGLO and AQUAGLO bulbs. If they are get replacement LIFEGLO T8's first.

Jon

tmdavies said:
Is this what your putting in your t5
http://www.123aquatics.co.uk/showproduct.aspx?ID=1569
Also how do you plan to fit the reflector on the hud flap wont the rectangle indent in the middle obstruct the reflecter i suppose this could be sawed off?

Yes those are the lamps I have ordered. I will be using the 39w lamp.

And secondly you are answering your questions without me needing to answer them.

I will be cutting a section out of the reflector to fit in the flap.

Jon

I cant get the 54watt because the bulbs are just a few inches to big i have gone for the 39w. The t5 bulbs with the ballast and replacement t8's have come to around £150

tmdavies said:
I cant get the 54watt because the bulbs are just a few inches to big i have gone for the 39w. The t5 bulbs with the ballast and replacement t8's have come to around £150

Thats about what I payed in total. I just hope my t5 bulbs and reflectors get here soon as I'm waiting on them being delivered due to a supply issue. These places only tell you they've got no stock once they have your money lol.

So what is the wattage on your current T8's? 45w?

What will your total wattage be now that you're adding the 2x39w?

Jon

I know lol i bought some eco complete had to wait 5 weeks for it to arrive

So you'll have
40w+40w+39w+39w

158w total divided by 63 gallons is 2.507w per gallon.

You should be perfect for low light and medium light plants.

The green machine boys recommend 1w per litre for high light plants.

They would say you need around 250w of light over your tank for high light plants.

Medium light plants along with some ferts and Co2 and your aquatic garden will be thriving.

You'll need a Co2 drop checker after you add the extra lighting to keep an eye on Co2 levels as more light = more growth . More growth = using more Co2 / nutrients. So it is more vital to keep Co2 levels within the optimum range.

Jon

I don't know... with the T5s you'll probably have no trouble growing high light plants. Especially considering you ordered such good bulbs and reflectors to go with that new ballast. I doubt light will ever be a limitation for plant growth once you get them setup. T5s don't follow the watt per gallon rule at all. Really, not at all. That rule was for T12 and T8 lights. As long as you have plenty of co2 and nutrients you'll be able to grow just about whatever you like.

Ok went to green machine today and its pretty cool its nice having all that gear near by. Got myself a drop checker and a solenoid.
Also my life glo came today and it already looks brighter, just waiting for the t5's and ballast now.
I've got seachem npk for my ferts but I'm not going use it until i have more plants.
Anything else you guys think ill need for a decent planted tank?

I left around 1.30 lol i was wearing white t shirt and shorts maybe you saw me.
I wanted some shrimp also but i forgot lol

When I got there I was the only customer.

Did you see Gaz to get you what you needed?

Tall lad with glasses. Gaz.

Little dude with glasses Jimmy.

Jon

Gaz sorted me out with my gear he seemed nice and knew what he was talking about

tmdavies said:
Gaz sorted me out with my gear he seemed nice and knew what he was talking about

He is very knowledgable considering he doesn't keep fish himself. Lol. He's into his SNAKES. But he really does know his stuff.

After installing my Co2 drop checker I allowed it a full day to see whether I was dosing correctly. I had increased my bps to 1. I have since dropped it to 1 bubble every 2 seconds.

Jon

You didn't get the ADA Co2 drop checker did you? £59.99. Bit rich for me lol. I chose a fluval drop checker at jaydee for £8.99.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom