Low tech to high please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello i have a 240 litre 63 us gallons low tech planted tank. Light fitting is 2x t8 42" 40watts. I am injecting c02 but apart from a bubble counter i dont have much ideas as to how much i dose, a bubble every 3 seconds is what im dosing currently. My c02 is very basic setup iv included pics. What i would ideally want is for someone to basically list EVERYTHING i will need and good products that you recommend to use e.g light fittings, solenoids...
I recently started keeping discus and was worried if my c02 would crash my ph? Dont really understand how any of all this works
One of the main aspects holding me back apart from my lack of knowledge and know how is how i can upgrade my lights? Will i need a completely new hood? Thanks everyone

Attachments

• image-1645186063.jpg
    image-1645186063.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 81
  • image-998974773.jpg
    image-998974773.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 72
  • image-2343410661.jpg
    image-2343410661.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 69
Look at the
Hagen Glo T5HO range of ballasts.

They are prewired ready for bulbs.

If I'm right your Roma would have come with the
AQUAGLO 18000k
POWERGLO 18000k
T8's these unfortunately aren't great for growing plants, regardless of what the box said they came in.

What I have done with my Roma is swap the 2 standard tubes for the LIFEGLO versions which are 6700k spectrum which is much better for plants.

Before
View attachment 97187

After
View attachment 97188

I am then adding a 39w T5HO to each of the viewing panels on my lid. I am just waiting for the other bulbs to arrive due to a stock issue from the supplier.

Jon

Thanks i will definatly look into that now i just need to sort out the c02, water chemistry and ferts. Let me know how your lights in the hud flaps go. Thanks

Could you tell me the new lights you are getting and where you ordered them from? Cheers

Your Co2 ideally needs a Solonoid valve to run inline which will enable you to turn off your Co2 dosing at night using a simple 24hour timer.

In order to keep levels where you need them you need a Co2 drop checker. Which uses a 4dKh solution in a glass bubble which turns colour depending upon how much Co2 you dose.

BLUE = not enough Co2
YELLOW = too much Co2
GREEN = just right

ADA make a really nice looking drop checker but it's pricey. Fluval and TMC make them too for less money.

As for ferts I use these.

View attachment 97190

Your fish generally supply a decent amount of nutrients already to your plants. So then you must supply enough micronutrients such as calcium magnesium iron blah blah blah.

Usually our tap water has enough phosphates in it to supply the plants. But excesses of phosphates which can accumulate from over feeding can cause algae growth.

I too use a TMC Co2 system. I am now also considering a Carbo supplement too which will help with extra growth.

There really is quite a lot that goes into a planted tank. Lol. More than I had thought before I embarked on this journey lol.

Jon

Wow that is all a tremendous help i really appreciate it thanks jon

No worries my man.

As a fellow newbie I love sharing the knowledge I have. Although limited by my experience I am getting to grips with it all.

Jon

Jon i just looked at your profile and i live right near wrexham, im in mold lol
A few weeks ago i think you posted a thread about a good aquascaping shop who help you with your tank. Can you tell me the name so i can go visit it looked amazing
Small world

Yeah no worries.

It's

THE GREEN MACHINE.

Gaz and Jimmy are the 2 you want. Jimmy is the owner. I'm pretty sure they maybe the only ADA distributor in the UK. but don't quote me on that lol.

Gaz designed my tank for me.

They are serious scapers. But my tanks scape cost me £250 for plants.

They have everything you need there to setup a serious planted tank including Co2 and ferts etc.

Make sure you have a budget in mind before asking them to work their magic.

It's a shop I used to frequent from my old hobby (growing indoor plants) wink wink lol. As they also sell hydroponic equipment.

Jon

When i first saw that thread i remember thinking i wish i had a lfs near me like that, little did i know.
I usually go to jaydee aquatics in llay industrial estate.
Gonna give that place a look see cheers

I frequent jaydee too.

You a member there for reward points?

That's where I got my Roma from.

Their fish stock is ok. But I've been pretty disappointed with the way the tanks are being looked after lately. Seems to be quite a few "bacterial" problems I've noticed with a lot of the fish. I wanted to get my Bolivians from them but when I noticed a fuzzy white looking blobs on the fins and body of other occupants in the tank I decided against it.

Believe it or not Wrexham Plas Coch PETSATHOME has some nice clean healthy tanks and a good selection. That's where I got my Bolivians from in the end as The Green Machine stock is pretty slow to turn around. However their Angel tank will have you STUNNED.

Jon

I agree with you about jaydee. I do also use the pets at home wrexham. Ill let you know how green machine went. Cheers

Forgot to mention that the green machine is open Tuesday through to Saturday.

Closed Sunday Monday.

Jon

So after changing your t8's to life glo and adding two 39w t5ho's to your hood your tank will be able to grow high light plants?
Also what bulbs will you be using for the t5ho and how are you attaching them to your hud flaps are you screwing them on? Will you have reflectors on hud flap parts?
And finaly how are you arranging them are you having 2 on the front and 2 on the back flap making 4 in total? Or otherwise please explain
Thanks jon

Hi tm

The ballast that I purchased is the HAGENGLO double 39wT5HO.

Which means it will start 2x39wT5HO lamps.
In the box is The ballast which has a plug for plugging into the power and leads to attach the bulbs into which all come out of the ballast pre-wired so you don't have to wire anything yourself.
There are also T5 mounting clips for attaching the bulbs. There are NO screws as you need to find these yourself.

I have also purchased 2x Hagen 39w reflectors and 2xLIFEGLO 39wT5HO lamps.

This along with the LIFEGLO T8's that I have mean that I will have 2.76w per gallon.

I will fit a single T5HO onto each of the flaps of my tank lid.

Which then means I will have a T5ho at the back of the tank, 2 T8's in the normal place and then a second t5ho in the front of the tank. Thus giving me 4 bulbs total with 60w of T8 and 78w of T5HO.

Jon

It depends on the wattage.

39w T5HO is approx 34" long.

I think the 54w is approx 40" long I think.

As long as your tank is 4ft long you should be ok with 54w bulbs.

Jon

Are the 54 more powerful? Because my tank is the 240 and is 120cm long so the 54's may be more suitable for me

Back
Top Bottom