Lowering ph in my planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickrollxx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need to get my ph a little lower in my tank. Right now I have a sand substrate, plants, Malaysian driftwood, corys, and some tetras. 1489422618491.jpg

What is ph, gh/kh?

Chasing those numbers is usually not wise. They always want to revert to the source params. There are a few natural ways to go about this. But I still find it less a headache to just be fexible with the fauna and stock according to exsisting params.

Peat moss can also be a great way to help naturally filter the pH levels of your tank, but, again, can discolor your water. Many aquarists recommend pre-treating your peat moss in a separate bucket for a few days before putting it into your tank in order to dissipate the yellowish tinge that natural peat can give water.

Peat moss can be added to the filter in pellets or chunks that you can purchase at any pet or gardening store, and can naturally lower pH by acting as a second filter. Putting them into a filter bag (or use women’s panty hose as a filter bag) or inside your water filter itself is highly recommended. hope this helps

I need to get my ph a little lower in my tank. Right now I have a sand substrate, plants, Malaysian driftwood, corys, and some tetras. View attachment 296230

the way I do it is use something called seachem acid buffer . My Ph here in indy is 8.5 . liquid rock LOL ! I use about a 1/4 teaspoon per 4 gallon to get about 7.2 ph . But go slow at 1st till you get a feel for what you want to get to and how much it takes to get their seeing that your water is probaly different then the liquid rock I have to deal with .

https://www.amazon.com/Seachem-1160...489451772&sr=8-1&keywords=seachem+acid+buffer

You might struggle to lower pH naturally if the source is hard. Best way, though not the cheapest would be to mix your tap water with Reverse osmosis water which is devoid of pH influencing minerals.

The only natural way of lowering pH is to add ornaments that release tannins, as tannic acid is the compound that lowers the pH, like bogwood, driftwood, peat moss, almond leaves, alder cones etc. I found my driftwood from the beach and it worked marvelously. I also found the alder cones from a local park and I have yet to try them.

If you want to lower the pH without the use of tannins, there is reverse osmosis water, but it can be pretty expensive. There are also pH-altering chemicals, but I wouldn't recommend them as the pH would just bounce straight back up again after a while. Hope this helps!

I wouldn't worry about it

+1 my tap comes out at about 8-8.2 and my tank naturally sits around 7.8-8. Both plants and fish do just fine.

However my ph lowers to 6.8-7 at the height of my co2.

Back
Top Bottom