Lowering Phosphate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am having a hair algae problem in my main tank. I tested the phosphate level like it was suggested I do and it is .5. How do I lower this? I tried the peroxide treatment and it helped a little for a few days but then it came back. Right now it is all around the edge of my plant leaves and in my moss. I am running my lights for 8 hours a day broken up into two 4 hour periods. I have been doing 6 hours for many weeks but my plants were starting to get a little leggy and it really didn't help the algae. I have three 26 watt spiral CFL bulbs in metal clamp lights mounted 2-3 inches above water line. DIY CO2 remixed every 10 days or so. I am currently using Flourish Comprehensive and Tetra FloraPride liquid ferts. I have ordered the dry ferts recommended by RiverCats but they haven't come in yet.

Here are my water tests as of last night.
PH 7.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
KH 89.5
GH 161.1
Phosphate .5

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• wholetank (2).jpg
    wholetank (2).jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 66
Your phosphates are good and you don't want them any lower. I run mine at 5-10ppms without issue. How long are you running your lights? You only want to run them 6 hours when having algae issues. Also you might want to turn off 1 fixture until you get things under control. My guess is it's the DIY CO2 causing the problem. If the CO2 isn't consistent problems like algae can arise. Have you considered using Glut or Excel along with your CO2?

I was running my lights 6 hours but after a month of that my plants are getting leggy. I was planning on buying the Glut but had too much going on this payday. I will get some on my next payday. Can I use it with the diy CO2 or should I just stop the CO2 and go with the glute? I am remodeling an RV to turn into a tiny home and funds are so limited right now that spending some on a CO2 system just isn't in the cards. I am planning on getting one in the future. My drop checkier is staying in the green with the 4DHK solution. That is supposed to mean that I have enough CO2 isn't it? Would I be better off changing it out every week instead of around two weeks? This algae problem started when I let the solution run out. I was hoping that it would correct itself if I kept a better eye on the CO2. I am going to try the peroxide thing again when I do my next water change. It worked some but then it came back with a vengeance. The staghorn algae didn't come back, just the hair algae. I am going to get more fish tomorrow. I only have two mollies right now. I need another female molly so the male will stop harassing the only female. I am thinking of picking up an Otocinclus Catfish (Otocinclus sp.) or two if I can find one. I already have two types of shrimp and three mystery snails. They are eating the algae but cannot keep up with the growth of it. No idea what other fish I might get. I don't want a lot in my tank because I will have to move it all in a few months.

I don't know if I'd stop the CO2 but I do think I'd add the Glut to your regime. Once a tank gets out of balance from something changing it can take awhile for it to rebalance again. Have you thought about running lights 4 hours, then off for 2 hours, then back on again for 4? Some people swear this works for getting rid of algae. Oto's won't eat hair algae. IMO you'd be better off getting Amano shrimp as they do eat it. The only fish that eat hair algae are true SAE's and American Flag fish.

I'll pick up some API CO2 Booster tomorrow and then get some regular glut. when i get paid again. I am going to Petland tomorrow and about all they carry is API products. Or that is all I have seen there. My mystery snails eat the algae when I cut back on feeding them but I have baby ghost shrimp and blue pearl shrimp babies right now and I don't want them to go hungry. The snails hog all the food when I cut back on their algae wafers. I have some more plants coming in so hopefully I can get the tank heavily planted and out compete the algae. Will that work?

Thank you RIvercats for all the help.

If you use the Glut along with the DIY CO2 and adjust your lighting with a siesta period, then add more plants you might be able to get the algae under control.

I already have my photoperiod broken up. I was doing 2 hours three times a day but just recently went to 4 hours two times a day. I picked up some glut today and will start that tomorrow. I am a couple of days late on water change so will have to do that tomorrow too. I was doing lots of water changes every week and didn't have this problem but got lazy. I think i will start doing twice weekly water changes at least. One small one during the week and one major one once a week. I got some Anacharis and guppy grass in today. Plus I picked up some neon tetras and another molly. The molly is a really pretty orange sherbert color. Everybody is in QT. That makes tank number three not to mention a couple of half gallon baby snail holding tanks. Boy I really need a bigger place. LOL

Back
Top Bottom