ludwiga; red, white, dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justDIY

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok, I originally tried growing some red ludwiga mid-tank, but since it grew so fast and long, I moved it to the back

so, it's grown to where it's beginning to 'bend over' at the top of the water, but I've noticed the leaves near the top of the stem are turning white

is this because it's getting too much light, or because of a nurtient diffencey

also, I'm not sure if it's my pl*co or what, but I've been collecting large amounts of ludwiga leaves and partial stems from the surface lately, but I'm not sure where they're coming from, unless it's off the lower, hidden branches

the ludwiga and something called "fox tail" I bought are really "rubbing" me the wrong way ... once July gets here, all these stup*d bunch plants are getting thrown into my parents pond or a yard waste bag, as their roots and unruley growth are wearing on my patience

I know I asked before, but didn't get much of a response ... what are some good rooted plants that appericate high light and hard water (with co2) ... not looking for something with glacial growth rates, but a moderate growth would be good, and certainly not 2" a day like fox tail!

I'm thinking Nitrate deficiency, but figuring out nutrient deficiencies is one of my weakest points. Also could be an Iron deficiency, but white, leads me to suspect nitrate.

Slower growers, Cryptocorne species, all mine grow low and slow. Also Java fern, Java moss.

the ludwiga and something called "fox tail" I bought are really "rubbing" me the wrong way ... once July gets here, all these stup*d bunch plants are getting thrown into my parents pond or a yard waste bag, as their roots and unruley growth are wearing on my patience

See if your lfs will take them in trade. You might be able to get some other plants, or whatever supplies you need. better than tossin them.

Planted tanks are high maintenence (insofar as trimming goes), especially with bunch plants, I have very few left in my 90, except Red Ludwiga and hygro sunset, I love the color too much to get rid of them.

hrmm ... probably something other than iron ... the water here has so much iron it has slight reddish/brown color in a bright white bucket

I just put a few pieces of jobes into the gravel, will see if that helps them any with whatever they're lacking

I've been dosing flourish after each water change, and then usually wed or thur ...

I really need to buy a decent test kit :)

thanks!

btw: anyone else have ideas?

Definately the Java Fern, they are mega slow growers, but do multiply in the process pretty fast. Banana plants grow pretty slow but thats depending the light. though their stems get a little long its only when they really need light, so they reach but the actual plant itself won't actually grow that quickly.
I love red ludwigias! But I must agree they grow pretty quickly, and cutting them and planting the top portion can be a real pain.. all I can suggest is haveing the newly cut bunch wrapped by a plant weight, like a strip of water safe metal when planting. If you wanted, and have the lighting you could try Glosso, the carpet low plants. The only problem is the initial stages where you have to plant every single stem at first.. then it spreads. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom