Ludwigia leaves turning black

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blert

Aquarium Advice Addict
It does not rub off and the leaves are not melting. Been in tank about a month.

Lighting: Coralife 30" t5ho x2 bulbs (actinic + 10000k), 22" from fixture to substrate.

Dose: Excel daily, Comprehensive twice a week or so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image-3908984865.jpg
    image-3908984865.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 77
Hmmm... It's not fuzzy and does not come off. T'is more like its painted on. Can't even scratch it off. It is not anywhere else in the tank.

Ok thanks. I'll lower my lighting time and maybe figure out a way to shade this plant for now and see if that helps. Would like to avoid a blackout if possible. I'll also up my Excel dosage if you think it may help. If I have to I can move the plant to a tank in the garage where it will get almost no light. I'll try to figure out a way to get co2 injection sometime in the near future but I'm out of work so my funding is a little on the thin side right now.

In all honesty, I'm not sure that a blackout is a cure for BBA. I've never tried it, and I've never seen in recommended. Spot treating with excel or hydrogen peroxide are the most common treatments.

aqua_chem said:
In all honesty, I'm not sure that a blackout is a cure for BBA. I've never tried it, and I've never seen in recommended. Spot treating with excel or hydrogen peroxide are the most common treatments.

I do agree with you there. Shoulda said it also went away with dosing a bit more Flourish :)

Spot treating excel might work short term, but if you have BBA, excel might not be able to hold it off for long.

Ok thanks a ton.
I took the little fellow out and gave it a 30 second hydrogen peroxide dip. Then a bunch of it wiped off but much of it stuck fast.

How would I spot treat with Excel? Another dip?

I upped my Excel dose a small bit. In a couple days I'll up it a small bit more if all stays well in the tank. It says not to overdose on the bottle so what would be a safe dose on a 37g tank?

Since I just lost my job and no longer have health insurance I just closed my HSA as I kinda need the funds for the kids Xmas. I should have just enough left over for CO2. ;) Any suggestions what I should buy? Not looking for a giant gas tank for this setup and there is at least one paintball shop in this town.

How big of a tank is this?

Give the algae some time to die. It should change color in a day or so. Repeat application may be needed.

37 gallon
30"x12"x22"
62 watt t5ho 1x actinic 1x 10000k (so medium-high light as the actinic does not do much other than color?)

BBA is finally being beaten back. Yay! A slightly larger dose of Excel and holding all ferts did the trick. CO2 equipment will be in this week so hopefully I can keep it away for good. Good thing too as I'm almost out of Excel.

Back
Top Bottom