Ludwigia repens = Primrose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlazerFRS

Aquarium Advice Freak
I see plantgeek has Ludwigia repens listed as Primrose... Any idea if this the same as the terrestrial plant known as Primrose, or a case of two plants having the same common name?
I imagine there'd be some time while a land plant modified itself to underwater growth?
B/c I have (or will have, come spring) a bunch of that growing outside, it'd be cool to use some free plants in my tank.

Maybe i'll just give it a shot when they start coming up-can't no more than die like most of my aquatic plants :wink: .

Anyone have any experience growing this one?

Here's the plantgeek link, btw:
http://www.plantgeek.net/plant-156.htm

TIA

You know, I never knew that there was a terrestrial plant with the same name. Here's a pic of mine...could they be cousins?

dec122005008.jpg

a better one...
lrepens2001.jpg

They do look very similar, the leaf shape is basically the same, as is the way they are arranged on the stem. The ones outside at my house are generally darker, with yellow flowers. They also spread like mad via runners.

Even if I can't use the "free" ones outside I may look at getting some- any comment on your experiences with yours jchillin?

I have it as well. I love it. Grows like crazy and turns a great shade of red. If you go in my gallery you cant miss it in the tank.

Jchillin said:
...and of course my curiosity was too much to let it go...

Primrose

apparently there's more then one terrestrial plant with the common name 'primrose' b/c that doesn't look like what I've been calling primrose. :eek:

I'll take a look around online for pics

Of the three original stems I had, I've never experienced any runners, just growth. I've since pruned those and re-planted. Does grow pretty well considering I have a low-light tank. :)

Funny thing about plant names. They are not the same (the two in question above). Thats why I try to use latin names because plant names are so regional.

I've only heard of evening primrose for terrestrial plants. Then again I kill terrestrials, so I avoid em in general ;)

I agree with simpte that latin names are best, because there's only one latin name for each plant, but one common name is often used for a family of plants...like, cabomba for example.

Back
Top Bottom