Madagascar lace ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jman17H

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am still trying to figure out this plant? It seems to do really well and throw out several new leaves and then stop for weeks or months to loose everything to the point I think of throwing it out?

Does it like warmer water? It did really really well when I was heat treating at 89 degrees for ick a month ago but now looks horrible again?

What am I doing wrong or what do I need to keep this thing growing?

It is in a 150 breeder tank with 390 CF over it's side and CO2 injection using mix of Flourish line and gregwatson.

I am also in love with this plant.

HEre is what i know about it

It is finicky, has high mainenance demands
It has dormant periods, like a terrestrial bulb plant. It needs a resting period in a cool, damp place. Bury in a pot of damp sand and put it in your refridgerator.
In needs to store a huge amount of nutrients to survive it's dormant phase
it will flower given the right parameters
fertilize, fertilize, fertilize. Put root tabs around it in addition to the regular fert schedule.

I keep mine at 79-degrees and it is happy enough. Seems to thrive, but has not flowered. I have also heard that they require a dormant period, but have not had to deal with that yet. Sounds like you do most everything I do. I have found that mine likes a little bit of shade, leaves turn brownish in too much light.

Plants take a while to show signs of change. Is it possible that the m. lace is just getting around to complaining about your 89-degree days ???

It actually was thowing out a full leaf or even 2 a day at times during the 89 days but since I dropped back to the normal 78, it has dropped all but 2 of them and they are not full & green anymore but dull and breaking? I never had it do as well as the high temp times?

Sounds like maybe I really messed up this one's cycling and may just need to find a new one to attempt to grow?

Now this is just a complete guess, but being a plant from Madagascar, perhaps you simulated a very short summer cycle for it and it now believes that it is time to go dormant.

In needs to store a huge amount of nutrients to survive it's dormant phase

So does this just mean the soil it is stored in needs to be very nutritious or does it mean that it needed time to store it itself? If the latter, it only had 2-3 weeks since the temp drop. Would that be enough time for it to get ready?

Back
Top Bottom