Made the Switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glenc

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all, thought I'd stop hijacking Purrbox's thread! :) I got everything set up tonight, it's all working great so far. Had a small leak at the regulator connection to the bottle, but thanks to Purrbox I was on it quick and got it fixed. Running a bubble a second in 2 tanks, got room for 1 more on this set-up. I'm also running a 20 pound bottle so I won't be running out of C02 for a while. I inject directly into the inputs of my cannister filters these days so no need for bubble counters as yet. Had to cram the whole thing in beside my desk and a filing cabinet, fits like a glove! I'll stay up and keep an eye on it for a bit to make sure all is well before I hit the sack.
I was getting good C02 levels with DIY as I changed my bottles out every week, even being that fanatic my C02 levels were still inconsistent, that's really why I coughed up the dough for pressurized. I plan on doing this hobby for a long time and I want consistent C02 levels and more stability in my tanks. I think pressurized is the only way to really achieve that, especially in high light tanks.

Looks very nice Glenc. I'm sure you're going to be pleased with the results. I'm glad that my experiences helped your switch to go smoother. Keep us posted!

i hate u glen!!! lol u beat me to it. i will be ordering from him soon aswell. i just need to get a cheap bottle. i hope it all works out well for u.

Thanks for the replies guys, so far so good. :) It sure is nice to be able to adjust you C02 with the turn of a needle valve, what a difference :) Need a bit more, no problem! That 20 pound bottle cost 30 bucks to fill, but it should last a long time. Those Lamotte kits are worth the money spent, and believe me, I'm not made of it! They really help you dail your tank in and help to pin point your fert levels. I've kind of got the levels in my tanks memorized now, as long as I don't change the lighting. Using EI for dosing, so I'm not using the kits as much these days. I'll break them out to dail in another tank or when I feel brave and throw more light on the tanks running now :twisted: The Lamotte Nitrate kit is worth it's weight in gold, no other kit I have tried come close, and I have been through alot of them. P04 is also dead on, but the Seachem P04 kits I have tried are just as acurate for a third of the cost. I'll post some pics of the tanks soon, the 20 and the ten are going through some changes, not sure if there looking better or worse, I may have changed to much! They have been growing in for 3 weeks and are still not looking great. Should get better soon with consistent C02 happening now.

When I do audit's of plating shops, thier chemistry labs always have Lamotte's test kits. Good enough for the pro's, should be good enough for us hobbiests.

After a month of pressurized, you'll be saying why did I wait so long.

What kind of needle valves are you using there? Ever since last year when I bought an ADA needle valve, and it kinda suxored. I have been looking for cheap high quality source of needle valves. So far the best value I have found are these:
http://www.stcvalve.com/DIMENSION-FV.htm Which sell for $7.37 for an in-line needle valve. Or, these ones http://www.stcvalve.com/DIMENSION-CV.htm for $6.17.

glens entire set up id off of www.rexgrigg.com . i have heard nothing but good about his products so far and am planning a order from him very soon. his stuff may be a justa little more expensive than other sites but u are paying for quality and he is a really great guy. i have sent him a few emails and he responds very quick.

Rex is a Clippard dealer himself. Pretty much everything he sells (valves, fttings, etc.) is from Clippard. I went directly through the local Clippard because it was easier for me. A lot of it depends on where you are located. With him being on the West Coast, it made sense for me to buy from someone closer. My stuff was shipped from NJ.

Thanks guys, they are indeed Clippard needle valves. Heard nothing but good reports here and on other forums. They are very responsive, nice and smooth. They are $14.00 each from Rex Grigg.

Back
Top Bottom