maintance/plants ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zippersea

Aquarium Advice Newbie
[when doing reg water changes do i need to remove all plants, vaccum gravel, then replant? my tank is newly & heavilied planted

I wouldn't think so, no. That would be a great upheaval for your eco system. I would think just a light vacuuming of the accessible gravel. You wouldn't want to stir up the bio filter too much IMO.

i don't take anything out, i don't have a UG filter so i don't gotta worry about stuff getting sucked into the gravel, i just vac the gravel around the plants while changing the water, i figure any other waste will be good plant fertilizer!

You can let all plants stay where they are. You don't even have to gravel vacuum around the bases of plants, since they will use up any waste that is produced. Malaysian Trumpet Snails are good for digging in your gravel and putting the waste underneath the surface so the plant roots can reach the 'mucus'.

Welcome to AA!!! :wave:

Never move plants unless you absolutely have to, especially when they are new. They have not had a chance to attach themselves as yet. Also, use caution when gravel vac'ing around roots and rhizomes so they don't get disturbed.

If you don't have any as yet...bottom feeders can assist with detrius removal. The snails that Thomas mentioned are great for this also as they serve the two purposes.

How new is your tank? If it is still cycling, you shouldn't be doing gravel vacs. As JC said, be careful around the plant roots. You don't want them to get damaged from the gravel vac.

Back
Top Bottom