Making a java moss "nest"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An t-iasg

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have some java moss that I made into a "nest" or "hammock" for my bettas. I used suction cups -- 2 on the front of the tank, and one on the side, in an L shape. The moss just rests on the nubs of the suction cups. When I set it up, I was glad that the moss stayed in place, because I didn't know how else to get it to stay! But now I have to think of another way. The suction cups are getting hard from being in the water, and the edges of the plastic are getting sharp. One betta loves to rest between the glass and the moss, and he often knocks the moss off the cups. He also likes to swim up from under the moss, passing close by the suction cups. That keeps knocking the moss off also. I'm also afraid he may tear his fins on one of the sharp pieces, since he likes to swim up from underneath. I'd like to find a better way to anchor the moss.

The only thing I can think of is to use silicon to glue cocktail stirrers to the suction cups so the moss rests on them instead of the cup itself. But that still seems like the betta would knock it off fairly often, or scrape himself on the stirrers. Any ideas are appreciated!

Go to the store and get a new suction cup soap holder. That will make a nice little platform that sticks right to the side of the tank. To make the moss stay on it, you could put the moss on the holder, then put some gravel on it, or a piece of driftwood, maybe even a small rock. You could even just drill a bunch of holes in it (if its plastic), as the moss grows, it would attach itself through the holes.

grimlock3000 you are brilliant!

These types of suction cups may also be made of a material that won't break down and harden in water, since they are designed to go in a wet shower area.

grimlock3000, that is brilliant! Kudos to you!

I'm always picking up the nest and putting it back...One betta will still lie on it where it falls, and the other one still hovers by the empty suction cups, and does his little "betta dance" to get my attention. When I put it back, he sometimes sits in my hand, awww!

Benny and Kenny (the bettas) and I say thanks!

Back
Top Bottom