Making a liquid solution from dry ferts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An t-iasg

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am dosing my 10 gallon tanks with Greg Watson's dry ferts. For my three 5-gallon tanks, it seems easier to dose with liquid solutions. A year or so ago, I bought Greg Watson's ferts already mixed at an lfs. Now I'm running out and I have to mix more. The labels on the liquid solutions I bought say:

"1 ml per 20 gallons = 1 ppm nitrate" or phosphate or potassium. I want to make this same concentration again since it's what I'm used to in my 5 gallon tanks and they are doing fine.

Here's what I found using Chuck Gadd's calculator. Can someone verify?

I put 20 gallons and 100 ml of water in the boxes, and played with the teaspoon amount until the "each ml of this solution will add" box said 1 ppm.

KNO3 - nitrate - 2.25 teaspoons per 100 ml of water gives 1.02 ppm nitrate.
KH2PO4 - phosphate - 2.25 teaspoons per 100 ml of water gives 1 ppm phosphate.
K2SO4 - potassium - 3 teaspoons per 100 ml of water gives 1.07 ppm potassium.

Does that look good? Is it really this easy? 8O

Edit: mixed up ml and ppm :oops:

KNO3 - nitrate - 2.25 teaspoons per 100 ml of water gives .98ppm nitrate.
KH2PO4 - phosphate - 2.25 teaspoons per 100 ml of water gives 1.12ppm phosphate.
K2SO4 - potassium - 3 teaspoons per 100 mo of water gives .85ppm potassium.

This is using Chucks Calculator that I have on my PC, that I downloaded from Chucks site. Yes, it's that easy. :)

Good! Thanks!

It seems like 2.25 teaspoons is a lot of dry fert powder to add in only 100 ml of water. At first I was putting only .25 teaspoons in the box, and the resulting solution was very weak. "1 ml = 1 ppm in 20 gallons" seems weak also, but it is what I want to end up with. The calculator made it easy to figure out!

Back
Top Bottom