Making a rhizome split on Anubias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well my nana has done fine all by itself but I was thinking about making one myself. The splits are all at the tail end of the rhizome where the original plant was cut before I got it. It is making a very nice full and thick plant but the front is not.

I may or may not decide to force a split but if I decide to, what is the best way to do it? How sharp should the knife be, exacto type knife? Where should the slit be made; between two leaves, directly in the side, maybe in the front? Where the newest leaves come out the front there really isn't much of a rhizome to say, how far back should the slit be made to prevent damaging the rhizome and not getting a rhizome split? Should a split even be made if the plant is doing so well making it's own toward the back of the plant, maybe better to just let it do it on it's own?

fish_4_all said:
Well my nana has done fine all by itself but I was thinking about making one myself. The splits are all at the tail end of the rhizome where the original plant was cut before I got it. It is making a very nice full and thick plant but the front is not.

I may or may not decide to force a split but if I decide to, what is the best way to do it? How sharp should the knife be, exacto type knife? Where should the slit be made; between two leaves, directly in the side, maybe in the front? Where the newest leaves come out the front there really isn't much of a rhizome to say, how far back should the slit be made to prevent damaging the rhizome and not getting a rhizome split? Should a split even be made if the plant is doing so well making it's own toward the back of the plant, maybe better to just let it do it on it's own?

I used some surgical scissors, but I would recommend a razor blade for the cleanest cut. I had an easy separation because it was a daughter shoot so there was a clear area where the rhizome was much less thick and so I cut there. From what I've read the rhizome is pretty much built to propogate an any part. I wouldn't cut directly on a leaf, but anywhere along the rhizome is probably fine.

Ok, that answers removing the sisters but what about making the rhizome form a new split? Do I simply make a small incision where I want it to split? Is a shark knife point stuck in the mother rhizome enough tomake it grow another rhizome split?

I am stuck on the idea of getting a rather huge mother plant with lots of splits instead of a lot of seperate plants.

I haven't ever done it myself, but from what I've read if you make a small incision with a sharp razor blade it should cause a split in the rhizome. It shouldn't have to be very long or deep, just enough to break the surface and cut the tissue beneath.

I wonder if this can be done on a java fern rhizome to get it to start throwing up some leaves. I have 2 rhizome "balls" where all the leaves have been removed and they just sit there and do nothing. I'm wondering if a small incision with a razor blade would get them to shoot up some leaves?

Good question, only one way to find out. ;)

Well I have found 7 different instances where someone made a small cut in the rhizome and all of them ended with the mother plant rotting, not a good sign. Hopefully someone will give some more positive results or this is looking like I leave the plant to its own devices.

A similar technique can be used to bring Java Ferns out of dormancy. Just nick the rhizome in a few spots and it should start growing again. Again, this isn't something I've tried myself, but rather information I've heard from others keeping Java Ferns that have tried the technique sucessfully.

Now that i am going to try, as well as the slice in the Anubias. I think te more you mess with java fern the better the stuff grows anyway. I trimmed all the roots off, planted it again and it took off to become huge. I left it alone for a couple month and it melted.

I did get more information from ones who have tried this with anubias. The consensious is to make a very small cut on a healthy plant somewhere midline. The ones who have success have made a vertical cut with scissors so I don't think the cleanliness of the cut matters much. Just a nick is all it should take. They say to only make 1 slit a month or until the new growth shows it is doing good and then you can do it again.

We will see, keep progress updated, this is information that could be very useful to a lot of people. Anyone else gonna try at least the java fern?

EDIT: I pulled up my nana, and I mean pulled, and guess what. I don't have a spec of rhizome that has a spot I can even consider to make a cut on. I thought it had 3 rhizome splits, it has between 5 and 9 with 4 for certain having multiple leaves. This thing is growing beyong belief as far as anything I have ever read about them. Oh well, gonna get another one sooner or later and when i get it healthy i will try doing it to that one. Probably gonna look for a coffeefolia or narrow leaf this time to keep the size of the leaves and the basic plant pretty consitant. The roots, 30+ at least 2 inches long. I had to cut them all off in order to get it to rest on the gravel on the mount I made for it.

I am going to try the java fern so I will let you know hnow that works.

Well with all my research now, I have not seen anything that encourages leaves to come out except for trimming the roots off. This could explain why I have so many leaves and rhizomes because I trimmed mine completely off before attaching it to my anchor. I was also able to find that once the roots get established it will slow down to a point and grow steady instead of in bursts. Sounds a lot like my java fern. Lots of roots resulted in little growth where when you trim the roots it grows lots of leaves.

Maybe this is a natural thing with rhizome plants. I might have to get a couple more and do some experimenting regarding the specifics of splitting, rhizome cutting, roots and such.

Any suggesiton to small fast growing ones like Nana? I was thinking narrow leaf, marble, angustifolia (afzelii), or coffeefolia. Should these be about the same as nana?

Back
Top Bottom