Making the switch from high to low

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

equinecpa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have pretty much decided I want to switch from high light to low on my tank. Can someone recommend a good lighting option for my tank:

30 gallon hex. It is 24" deep. Top is about 18" across. I was thinking 2 x36 compact flourescents? Would this still be considered high lighting considering the depth of my tank? Still require C02 and ferts?

I've been plagued with algae problems which I do seem to be getting under control with careful fish feeding, water changes and phosphate sponge. However I can't seem to get the water balanced and clear.

So what would be some good lighting for this tank? And anyone want a 100w metal halide for theirs?

Carolyn

I'd go with 1x36w PC. 2x36 is gonna put you at medium lighting.

I'm not convinced dropping your lighting will solve all your problems, but the decision is entirely yours, and low light tanks are pretty low maintenance.

You should try what malkore said and use one. It would put u at 1.2 watts per gallon and that would be low light. Using 2x36 you would need Co2 and it would need more maintenance. Even with low lights you still need to balance your nutrients to prevent algae. You can still get tons of algae with low lights. I have a 10 gallon that has the entire tank full of diatom algae even though I rarely turn on the light for it.

I think that's what I will try then. I think it's possible to get a workhorse ballast that will drive 1 or 2x 36 so if one really isn't enough I can later add another.

I understand that low light doen't automatically mean no algae, I have a 5 gallon SW and it went through a huge diatom bloom. As I posted before I have almost got things under control. I just don't want to have to tinker with it every day.

Carolyn

Well as long as you know what to do then, it will probably seem low maintence. Well good luck with it. BTW
And anyone want a 100w metal halide for theirs?
Are you giving that away for free or trading or something?

Are you giving that away for free or trading or something?

I'm not going to give it away for free but might consider a trade for lighting that will work for me or trade for nano aquarium or sell it cheap!

Carolyn

How long is it? What part are we referring to - this is a Metal Halide. I have some bad pictures if you want to PM me with an email address.

Carolyn

Heh I never seen a Metal Halide, I read 100w and was jw lol, but then again you said 30 gallon and I have a 46 gallon and 2 10 gallons don't think it would work.

I purchased a 36 watt power compact retrofit kit which is currently being fedexed here. I just saw a special at champion lighting for a 2 x 28 watt retrofit kit with bulbs. I was wondering if the 2 x 28 would be better than the 36 watt and still not get me into high light maintenance?

Also will the plants suffer shock from going high to low?

Carolyn
[/url]

I think with 3 or 4 inches of substrate on a 24 inch high tank, that the 72 watts might be a bit high but not off the charts for medium light. I bet the 56 watts would work pretty well. I have one 55 watt AH Supply PC on a 26 bow (very similar size) which is a mediumish light tank. And if you get your fert macros and micros in balance, the algae will go away. Are you injecting CO2 or Excell? Are you dosing any Pot. Sulphate? Any micros like CSM +B (on the Rex Grigg FAQ sticky)?

As you know, nothing causes algae like too much light or nitrates and 100 watt MH probably was the main culprit. Once the plants are at the right place (utrient wise and light), they will out compete the algae. When I had 120 watts on my 26 bow, I had all kind of algae probs. But I retired the Coralife 65watt and added pressurized CO2 at 30ppm, and voila, no algae in no time. Balanced it can become a pretty low maint. tank. And believe me, I have seen it as a nightmare too. HTH.

Thanks it's nice to hear from someone who has a similar tank and similar problems and has actually gone from high to low. I've noticed the tank looks much better in the morning after the light has been out.

I like the idea of the 2x28 for 56.

Carolyn

Back
Top Bottom