Mangroves for nitrAte reduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dirt Diggler

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking at using mangroves to help control nitrAtes and ammonia in my aquarium. I know that water changes are the end all be all, but I'll be returning to Afghandyland soon and I'm trying to minimize the amount of maintenenace my wife has to do while I'm gone. Does anyone have experience with mangroves?

I have african cichlids and I need a plant that they won't destroy or require a lot of maintenance on it's own. I don't think the 3 moss balls I have in there are gonna get the job done.

how well do you think they'd do for nitrate reduction? I have an overstocked tank and while the bio filter can handle the ammonia, I'm left with a lot of nitrates at the end. I need a way to deal with the nitrates effectively. so I need a plant that can survive the fish doing what they do, and help deal with the nitra

It might not be a terrible idea to add some water sprite to the tank. It grows like CRAZY and will do just fine if you grow it while it's floating; so its not a big deal if it gets chewed up a little bit.

Hopefully these plants don't obscure too much light as a floating plant. I should be able to hack these apart to maintain their growth right? I don't want them to take over the whole aquarium, but I do need their growth to keep nitrates at a minimum.

They can overgrow really easily. I have let mine grow to take up about 1/3 of my 55g tank. The good thing is you can trim them and either let them grow floating or just plant the stem in the substrate and let it grow from there.

It won't last long enough to over take the tank IMO. My Africans eat it like candy.
What about peace lily, arrowhead vine and pothos growing out the top of the tank? If there is enough ambient light in the room then they won't need a light.

Back
Top Bottom