marimo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MEMPHIS

Aquarium Advice Regular
My LFS is ordering me a couple of marimos and they will be here Wednesday. Since i am new to plants i was wondering if i need to do a dip? If so what kind of dip? How long should i QT them before putting them into my tanks?

I have a moss ball and they are easy to care for. No dip needed in my opinion. QT them for three weeks. Cut them to propogate. Remember that they are slow growers.

But don't you run the risk of getting snails or some disease without doing a dip?

I dipped every plant with 1:20 bleach:water before they went in my tank and inspected them closely and still have snails. IMO snails are just a part of a planted tank. Annoying as they can be, keeping them in check is just another aspect like keeping your water params in check.

I have a lot of them. I would also QT instead of dipping. No need to cut them to make more, it is easier to let them make new ones on their own. Once big enough they start to form another one that is about the size of a marble. Then it breaks away and grows on its own. If you cut it it does make more of them, but then they are not perfectly round and usually take months to become round again.

I'm goin to put them in a small 1 gallon tank i have to qt them. Should i use old water from my main tank in the one gallon or just fill it with new water?

Use some old water to acclimate it. Jcolon is right, marimos are algae balls so certain chemicals would harm it.

Back
Top Bottom