Marineland Aquatic LED Light Fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Freakgecko91 said:
Please do! I plan to upgrade my tank eventually ( once I move out, so my mom doesn't yell at me haha) and really want a nice planted tank

Yeah I see some planted tanks on here and they are beautiful. Makes me wish I could do that. But not possible with comet goldfish. They tend to rearrange things lol

Freakgecko91 said:
Yeah, that seems like it could be an issue :p

Yeah but I love the golds. So much more personality than typical fish. Btw u should put pics of your tank up. I have some of mine in my profile.

I have the marinland doublebright LED's. I was growing plants great in my 29 gallon with the LED's combined with a 15watt fluorescent bulb. You cant beat the energy savings with LED's. Now I just transferred everything to a 55 but so far my dwarf sag is spreading very nicely.
Here is a pic of the 29 before I switched to the 55
ForumRunner_20120601_231638.jpg

Several years ago I switched my household lights to CFL and watched my electric bill drop $50 a month immedialy. That's $600 a year. Since then ive slowly been switching to LED's as they become more affordable as they are even more energy efficient. So I would say if they grow plants well then the money spent will be money saved in the long run. Not to mention they don't have to be replaced for a very very very long time.

ashleynicole said:
I have the marinland doublebright LED's. I was growing plants great in my 29 gallon with the LED's combined with a 15watt fluorescent bulb. You cant beat the energy savings with LED's. Now I just transferred everything to a 55 but so far my dwarf sag is spreading very nicely.

Several years ago I switched my household lights to CFL and watched my electric bill drop $50 a month immedialy. That's $600 a year. Since then ive slowly been switching to LED's as they become more affordable as they are even more energy efficient. So I would say if they grow plants well then the money spent will be money saved in the long run. Not to mention they don't have to be replaced for a very very very long time.

Yeah I agree regarding efficiency. Great tank btw

Freakgecko91 said:
Unfortunately my iCloud isn't cooperating lol so I'll just post a couple, each with the marineland fixture on, one at day one at night :)

The last one is the moonlighting, hard to see, but looks awesome in person

Not sure to say dude or what but that's an awesome looking rank. Nice!! I also have sand. Do u use root tabs or just liquid fert?

Freakgecko91 said:
Thanks! And with the LED fixture, it stay way cooler than a regular fluorescent fixture

Yeah that's why I would prefer LED. golds are cold water and don't want to heat water more.

No fert yet btw, been a bit low on money lol hopefully soon, otherwise nothing's gonna survive lol

ashleynicole said:

What are u using for lighting with your 55?

GoldsGuy said:
What are u using for lighting with your 55?

Well right now I have the one 24" marinand double bright LED that I had bought for the 29 gallon and two 15 watt daylight fluorescent bulbs. Each day I switch the LED light from one side of the tank to the other until I figure out what fixture I am going to purchase. Probably a second double bright 24" for now.

Actually the more I think about it I am seriously considering investing in the 48" fixture of these new lights. I think they will grow plants better. Also I just decided I am going to setup another tank and will need my current light fixture for that one so.... since I have to get new lighting anyway might as well get this one. Just gotta work a few extra shifts to save up the $$$$ (y)

I grew low to medium light plants great in my 29 gallon with the double bright fixture so I think this one will work well also. I also love the idea of the timer being built in for both the daylight and lunar lights. Eliminates the need for a timer.

ashleynicole said:
Actually the more I think about it I am seriously considering investing in the 48" fixture of these new lights. I think they will grow plants better. Also I just decided I am going to setup another tank and will need my current light fixture for that one so.... since I have to get new lighting anyway might as well get this one. Just gotta work a few extra shifts to save up the $$$$ (y)

I grew low to medium light plants great in my 29 gallon with the double bright fixture so I think this one will work well also. I also love the idea of the timer being built in for both the daylight and lunar lights. Eliminates the need for a timer.

I've heard mixed results with using double-bright LED fixture. You probably had success because you also used fluorescent.

But I agree with what you said and I'm leaning to this light. Just more $$$ than I had anticipated. And I too like the integrated timer.

I wonder if also has sunrise and sunset setting??

If you get the fixture before me let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

I've heard mixed results with using double-bright LED fixture. You probably had success because you also used fluorescent.

But I agree with what you said and I'm leaning to this light. Just more $$$ than I had anticipated. And I too like the integrated timer.

I wonder if also has sunrise and sunset setting??

If you get the fixture before me let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
I agree that supplementing with the florescent probably had a lot to do with my success growing lights with the double bright fixture. My 55 gallon has been up and running for a month and it is doing pretty good but I also have some natural light from the dining room window and I notice the side of the aquarium closer to the window the plants are growing faster, lol.

It will probably be a while before I can afford this light as I just bought a new filter :angel: My husband goes a little crazy if I spend too much on my tanks... well he actually doesn't know exactly how much everything costs, but this month I had to agree to let him buy something for one of his hobbies so I am out of spending money till next month. :whistle: I will definitely post a thread when I decide what fixture I am going with, who knows, I might just get a T5.

I've got a 90 lightly planted with 2 t8's. Any reviews on new light?

I can't afford the aquatic plant LED's at the moment :( as much as I want them. I might just get a T5HO.

Yeah the fixture is much more expensive than the reef capable fixtures. I wasn't comfortable getting these lights until they have been reviewed etc. I ended up getting a Coral Life dual T5HO fixture specifically for freshwater plants. Just a bit over $100 so I can live with that until I upgrade tank next year.

Back
Top Bottom